• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jownez

Minnesota. I don't know where else to post this so Im going to post it here and hope that someone will be able to help me. My name's Adam and I have a question. My girlfriends sons dad took a loan out for her a year ago. Her name's on the title but his name is on the loan. He came over tonight and towed her car away. She wasn't late, the car payment is due on the 25th of May and the money was put into the bank on the 22nd which is automatically deducted out. I showed him the receipt that the money was put into the bank but he still took the car away. She has never been late on the payment. The title is in the car. My question is, would she be able to get the car out? Its a huge problem for us because I work alot and travel so if say her son gets sick she has no way of getting him to the hospital.

Thank You,

Adam

jownez

Both of there names are on it but she has receipts that she has paid every payment on time. And all of her stuff is still in the car.

Ozark_Sophist

I know you don't have the title in front of you, but the way the title is worded is important. If you can, post how the two names are recorded.

Why did he take the car? Is she maintaining full coverage insurance on the vehicle?

jownez

I thinks its and. She's carried full coverage on it the whole time. He took it away because of custody issues which he gave up his rights when the son was born.

jownez

And for a tow truck to come tow her car, arent they supposed to have a warrant or something similar to that. They didnt show anything just towed it away.

FlyingRon

And for a tow truck to come tow her car, arent they supposed to have a warrant or something similar to that. They didnt show anything just towed it away.
Warrants are something the police use.

If the owner or lienholder wants to tow the car, that's their right. Repo man never sleeps.

jownez

I understand that there isn't much she can do about this situation but is there any way she can fight for this? She put $2,000 down on the car. There's a 4 year loan on and and shes paid over $3,000 on it. It really sucks because she is a sweetheart. She made some bad credit mistakes in the past and thats why she wasn't able to loan out a car for herself. If I could I would just say screw it and take a loan out for her but I already have a house and car loan so I wouldn't be able to. Plus her and I don't have the money to go and buy a car.

ecmst12

She's still got the keys, right? Her name is on the title, so she has as much right to the car as he does. She should just take it back (at least if she knows where it is).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">