• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help ..car a total loss.. other driver claims stolen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pmcgee

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My car was at an auto repair shop and was crashed into by someone at 1:00am. The car that hit mine was left at there and my mechanic called me in the morning as soon as he saw the car and called the police to report it. The owner of the car that hit mine apparently reported the car stolen that same night. He claimed he was at a local hotdog stand and left the car running while he went in to get food**************ok .....however he lives less than1 block away from where the accident was. So....he's claiming someone stole his car and just happened to drive it less than a block away from his house and smash into mine. I only had liablilty insurance on my car which is now a total loss. His insurance states that they are not liable because he wasn't driving. What are the odds that someone steals a car and then drives near the owners home.....also....this area is in the middle of an industrial area not near any major streets so it's not even likely that a car theif just coincidently drove there ....a 1/2 block away from that guy's house. Would you believe that story? He's obviously lying and didn't want to be blamed...and considering the time of day,I think he may have even been drinking because my car was parked in an area that was pushed back from the street so it wasn't even on the road. The repair shop is the second building in from the street that slightly curves and is on a private driveway which is the only way in. Is there anything I can do? I lost my job...spent everything i had so had a car to get to interviews and right before that lost my home and everyting i had in a fire....i'm desparate and broke...any advice would be appreciated. 2nd question...why wouldn't this guy be held responsible for leaving his car unlocked and running? That is negligance on his part at the very least. Are there any laws regarding a driver leaving a car
running? thanks

Paulette

Last edited:

T

Trucking Mad

pmcgee said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

My car was at an auto repair shop and was crashed into by someone at 1:00am. The car that hit mine was left at there and my mechanic called me in the morning as soon as he saw the car and called the police to report it. The owner of the car that hit mine apparently reported the car stolen that same night. He claimed he was at a local hotdog stand and left the car running while he went in to get food**************ok .....however he lives less than1 block away from where the accident was. So....he's claiming someone stole his car and just happened to drive it less than a block away from his house and smash into mine. I only had liablilty insurance on my car which is now a total loss. His insurance states that they are not liable because he wasn't driving. What are the odds that someone steals a car and then drives near the owners home.....also....this area is in the middle of an industrial area not near any major streets so it's not even likely that a car theif just coincidently drove there ....a 1/2 block away from that guy's house. Would you believe that story? He's obviously lying and didn't want to be blamed...and considering the time of day,I think he may have even been drinking because my car was parked in an area that was pushed back from the street so it wasn't even on the road. The repair shop is the second building in from the street that slightly curves and is on a private driveway which is the only way in. Is there anything I can do? I lost my job...spent everything i had so had a car to get to interviews and right before that lost my home and everyting i had in a fire....i'm desparate and broke...any advice would be appreciated. 2nd question...why wouldn't this guy be held responsible for leaving his car unlocked and running? That is negligance on his part at the very least. Are there any laws regarding a driver leaving a car
running? thanks

Paulette
:cool: No laws on leaving a car running..just common sense..There obviously has been an accident report filed and possibly an scene investigation...If someone stole the car and drove it there are possibly some prints other than the owners unless they were a real professional and wore gloves (not likely)..Post back with update! :cool:

pmcgee

The Police that took the stolen auto report are not in the same city that did the crash report. He reported the car as being stolen in the neighboring town but the city border was only a few blocks away as well. So fact that the car was found by his home.....I guess they didn't question it...the cop ran the plate to find the owner and the vehicle came up as being reported stolen. I don't think I can make the police get his fingerprints to compare to what they found....can I?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">