• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help With My Claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

asseenonharbor

What is the name of your state? CA

So this is what happened. My car was parked outside of an apartment complex. At 3AM, my car - along with 2 other cars - were hit. I've talked to the other party's insurance (the one at fault) and they told me that his coverage is limited and may not be able to cover for all the damages because their are 2 other cars involved. My car was estimated at $5400 of damages. I'm a student and don't have $1000 to pay for my deductible towards my insurance company. Even if the other person has limited coverage shouldn't they have to cover for all my damages regardless... Why should I be at a disadvantage and have my insurance rates increase as well.

Also, can I still cancel my claim with my own insurance company? I'm afraid that they got the ball rolling with my auto body and the thing is that I don't want to pay for the deductible.
What should I do? What is the best route to go?
Need help.... my first claim and I'm having a nightmare. Thanks.

Last edited:

ecmst12

If you don't have underinsured motorist coverage, and the other party has state minimum coverage ($5k), your only recourse will be to sue the driver in small claims court and hope he has assets to pay you. His insurance company will probably want you to sign a release before paying you anything - if you do this, you will not be able to sue. So weigh your options.

jballidis

You can collect

You can collect you r entire damages with a little work on your side of things. First, have the other parties insurance estimate both cars damage. IF they do not exceed the total of that party's insurance then both cars are fixed and you are on your way. If the amount is exceeded to fix both cars, you can get your deductible from the other party's insurance company and have your car fixed through your coverage. Your insurance coverage premium will not go up as a non chargable accident and also your insurance company subrogtation claim (their claim for reimbursement in Californiia) is second to your claim by case authority. If you tell your company this, they may even waive the deductible for you. Good luck.

ecmst12

You don't get your deductible back before your insurance company gets its money. If the limits are exceeded, and your insurance company gets, for example, 60% of its money back from the other carrier, then you will get 60% of your deductible. Some insurance companies may give you back your entire deductible first and take the loss on the over-limits portion themselves, but unless CA has some wonky law that I'm not aware of (which they might), they are not required to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">