• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help for my friends

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

talonslash

What is the name of your state? West Virginia

About 8 months ago someone ran off the road and right into my friend's house. His wife was pinned under the truck and her son was underneath but was able to get out. The driver was obviously intoxicated, and until today she was never charged with "anything." Today she was charged with 2 DUI's, that's it, and even then only recieved 24 hours jail time and a $100 fine. They have contacted the prosecutor and several other members of the local government and is doing nothing but getting the run around while this woman is just getting a slap on the wrist. What is the next step? They don't want money, although they did settle with the woman's husband's insurance company. They want her to go to jail, but it seems that she keeps getting off, and she is a repeat offender, and has several offenses on her record.
Please advise on what they can do!

Thanks

B

-BROOKLYNN-

Unfortunetly there is nothing your friends can do about her sentence. They can't hog tie the judge. It's crappy, I know.

Good Luck

T

talonslash

Well the thing of it is, the prosecutor in charge, didn't even seem to care about the case. I wasn't sure if there was some way to appeal this or not. The only reason they even got into court today was because she was arrested for DUI, and went ahead and plead guilty to that charge and the one concerning my friends. Now most people realize that this is way too soft a punishment, not to mention that it's been discovered that she has family in the court system. But is it safe to say that there is no way that this can be overruled? Since she is a repeat offender, one day she's gonna kill somebody. If it weren't for the fact that my friend's next door neighbor's trucks were parked where it was, which this woman hit also, then she probably would have went through the entire house and most likely have killed them.

Thanks for your thoughts

B

-BROOKLYNN-

Talon, I'm sorry, but no this cannot be overruled. She pleaded guilty and she was sentenced. It is unfortunet for your friends, and we may not like the laws, but legally it is done and over with and if they settled with the insurance company then that is a done deal also.

Good Luck

lsut1ger

It sucks that the state didn't seem very concerned with doing their job.

I know you said that your friends are not concerned about the "money" but if I'm not mistaken, they could initiate civil proceedings against the woman. If nothing else, it will give her one hell of a headache to deal with and could result in a nice hunk of change for your friends.

A similiar situation happened to a co-workers daughter a month ago. They were sitting in their living room when their neighbor across the street backed through their front livingroom wall. The woman has a history of nervous breakdowns, etc. and was on several medications that she should not have been taking and then driving. Thank the lord noone was hurt, but the girl and her husband have been having nightmares and emotional problems from the incident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">