• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Insurance Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Syndran

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Got a question about insurance rates. I've had 2 traffic tickets in the past year (speeding). I went to court and had no points put on my record. (but if i have another violation the 2 tickets will be put onto my record). I recently got into an accident, no fault of mine, and the other persons insurance carrier paid for the repairs to my vehicle. But recently, with my insurance being renewed, the insurance company has threatened to almost triple my premiums because of those two traffic tickets, even though they are not supposed to be on my record. Can they do this?

Need advice please. Thanks.

John

Any traffic citation will appear on your record whether or not you get points assessed.

Premium rates are usually based on the number of points on your driving record but it's not always the case.

They are insuring a risk and the more tickets you get the bigger risk you become to them the higher your premium may increase.

tammy8

I am not real clear on you saying that no points were accessed from the 2 speeding tickets. Did you receive a prayer for judgement on one of them? Even if both tickets were "less than 10 miles" over, unless you did get a PFJ, both tickets would be chargable insurance wise therefore raising your rates.

Also an insurance company looks at the number of "incidents" including non chargable speeding tickets AND not at faults accidents as an indicator to the risk you may be.

tammy8

Then unforunately 99% of the insurance companies are going to look at this as 3 incidents in less than a yr. Some companies will not even offer you full coverage because you have no surchargable points (why have the risk if you can't recoup some money on the likeliness of another accident).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Only advice I have for you is SLOW DOWN:D ! Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">