• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Legal Advice!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dsmjac

I was in an accident on February 5, 1999. The gentleman that struck my truck from behind was being chased by Rhode Island State Troopers, and was clocked on radar for doing 110 Mile per Hour. I was sitting at a red light when the gentleman rear-ended me and then tried to flee the scene of the accident. He was finally stopped about a quarter mile to a half a mile down the road.

I was transported from the accident scene to the hospital. Since the accident I have been in and out of hospitals, doctors offices, and physical therapy. Then about a year ago, I was fed up with what the 2 doctors that have been helping between California and Rhode Island, that I decided to see another doctor, and that is when he found out what was wrong with me. He then reffered me to a doctor in Boston area, since then I have had back surgery about 2 months ago, and I have to be in physical therapy for about 2 years.

I have not had a job since the accident. I was wondering what I might be able to do about all of the bills that I have had to pay, or what my parents have had to actually pay. I was wondering what I should do about the medical bills, lost wages, and physical and emotional damage. I was in culinary school at the time, but I was removed form that part of the school because of the problems with my back. What are my options? What can I do to get back all of the lost money since the accident? Because of the accident, I have had to start college over for a new career.

Is it possible to sue him for more than his policy amount?
I am just wondering what my options might be, and what I am able to do about all of the bills, lost wages(not really able to work all the time since the accident), and emotional damage. I happen to run red lights now, when someone is coming up behind me at a fast rate.

D

darkpaw

re: need legal advice

I can't really offer legal "advice", sorry...but I do
have an opinion (doesn't everyone).
I think it should be the troopers that are at least
partially at fault. Keeping a persuit (obviously through
surface streets) creates a danger to the innocent, as
seen by your situation. In CA, they frequently (or at
least CLAIM to) call off surface pursuits at these speeds,
for this very reason.
I would try to sue the state. I'm sure there is more
than ONE patrol car in that area...there is no reason
they couldn't have set up a road block and backed off
on the rear pursuit.

Of course, it would go nowhere in court, since police
can do virtually anything they want.

This is just my opinion, of course....your milage may
vary.

-DP

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">