• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need to make a "BONA FIDE EFFORT TO COLLECT" before I make the claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrwabba

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I was involved in a car accident that I was determined to be not at fault, and the other driver had no insurance. I know the other driver won't just pay for the damages outright, but the form that starts the claim says that I had to make a "bona fide effort to collect" prior to starting the claim.

http://courts.oregon.gov/Washington/docs/civil/SmallClaim_Claim.pdf

So do I just need to send the guy a letter saying he owes me X amount for damages to my car, give him so many days to respond, or I'll take him to court? Is there like a standard form for this or do I just make it up? Any help would be great, as this is my first and hopefully last lawsuit.

ecmst12

Send the letter (via certified mail with return receipt)....just make something up, keep it simple and professional. You can put 10 days in the letter but wait a bit longer then that just to be generous. Then file suit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">