• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need to settle claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SRTX123

I was involved in an accident on my way to work back at the beginning of January of this year. I had entered a parking lot where I work and a man who works nearby was flying through the parking lot coming up the wrong way on one lane and flew right into me. I had the right of way and he did not even yield or slow down. My car was totalled and had to be towed away. He admitted at the scene it was his fault and even apologized to me more than one time. This accident occurred in Texas and according to Texas law, apparently private property has no traffic laws and so this man was not cited on the day of the accident. My car belonged to me free and clear. It was an older car ('87 Ford Taurus) however we have the title to it. It was paid for and it was given into my possession from my husband whom I am separated from. Since the accident, I have had reoccurring headaches (my head hit the side window on impact) and am going to the doctor again today. The claims service handling the claim are saying that is their "opinion" it was partially my fault and will only pay me 60% of the worth of the car (which they conclude is 1972.00), meaning I would only receive about 1100.00. Is there anything I can do about this ? I need to get another car. I have been driving one of my parents' on the interim here. It doesn't seem right that someone can hit you due to negligence and have no regard for your property or life (I could have been killed,,,,,,a few more feet and I probably would have been).Do I have any options here ? Please help !

Thanks,
Me

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">