• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need some insight

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KatB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

The accident happened in a parking lot. I was already backed out of my space and was on the driving lane and my foot was on the break, as I was ready to put on drive, I notice a car backing into my car on my rear view camera. I honked and the other car didn't hear and backed into my car. I spoke to my insurance and was told I might be at fault as well since my car was still in reverse mode. I don't understand this at all because I was at a complete stop when I was hit. I'd appreciate any insight anyone can give me. Thank you.

adjusterjack

Sorry, but without witnesses (not in your cars) the presumption is that you were both backing into each other and equally at fault.

However, each insurance company might insist that the other driver is completely at fault and refuse to pay.

I suggest that you just resign yourself to making the collision claim on your own policy and accept the decision of your own insurance company as to fault.

The only other option is to sue the other driver and try to convince a judge that you weren't at fault which, take my word for it, is likely to be impossible without independent unbiased witnesses.

KatB

This is so unfair. Why can't people just do the right thing. There was another person in the parking at that time, but I'm not sure if he saw the accident but he left before I could talk to him. Should I ask if the parking lot has cameras? Or just accept the decision from my insurance company?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Even if they do have cameras you won't have an easy time getting them to give you anything.

It sounds like it was a very minor collision so let your insurance company handle it.

KatB

Thank you both. I just want my vehicle fixed by the other party since he backed into me. I'll see how it goes. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">