• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need your opinion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vert310

Phildelphia, PA.

My car was parked on a short driveway but parked lengthwise parallel to the garage door. My rear left tire was sticking out of the driveway into a small alley. Well a guy across the alleyway back out of his garage and hit my driver's side door. He was nice enough to leave a note but then when I started to talk to him, he was suggesting we split the cost of the door repair. He said it was my fault that I was sticking like a foot of the driveway. I was furious with the guy. Still havent figured out what to do. I dont get how if I got hit I have to pay for any of the damage. I dont want to have to get insurance involved. This guy even claiimed he couldn't really see that well out of his car because he had stuff in it. I figure, even if I was sticking out a bit, that doesnt give him the right to hit me. BTW, I live in Philly so I dont know the laws that apply to this. Some of my friends suggested me to sue him if he doesnt pay for all of it. I have no idea what to do. I'm not sure if the police got involved, it would be my fault or not. The alley is pretty small, but I made sure to leave enough room for a car to fit through. What do you guys think?

Minh

seniorjudge

vert310 said:
Phildelphia, PA.

My car was parked on a short driveway but parked lengthwise parallel to the garage door. My rear left tire was sticking out of the driveway into a small alley. Well a guy across the alleyway back out of his garage and hit my driver's side door. He was nice enough to leave a note but then when I started to talk to him, he was suggesting we split the cost of the door repair. He said it was my fault that I was sticking like a foot of the driveway. I was furious with the guy. Still havent figured out what to do. I dont get how if I got hit I have to pay for any of the damage. I dont want to have to get insurance involved. This guy even claiimed he couldn't really see that well out of his car because he had stuff in it. I figure, even if I was sticking out a bit, that doesnt give him the right to hit me. BTW, I live in Philly so I dont know the laws that apply to this. Some of my friends suggested me to sue him if he doesnt pay for all of it. I have no idea what to do. I'm not sure if the police got involved, it would be my fault or not. The alley is pretty small, but I made sure to leave enough room for a car to fit through. What do you guys think?

Minh

Sue him in small claims court for the dollar amount of the damage; there is no such thing as "negligent parking".

teflon_jones

Yup, doesn't matter how you park, it's his fault for backing into you. Illegal parking is a criminal matter while damage to your car is a civil matter. They're unrelated in your case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">