• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

needed advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

ycaaessix

What is the name of your state? Indiana

On Sunday December 14th I was involved in accident. I was on a University Campus, they did not salt or even remove the snow. It had snow the night before. It was so slick I slid head first into a light pole set in a cement block. (I was going about 20- 30 miles per hour) My car was totaled that I just purchased 2 months ago. And then my car insurance company has been such a pain. The insurance that I purchased for the car was through a local company that contracts with an out of state company. I went in and purchased insurance on Oct. 14th. I received a 24.00 bill about 2 week later. So I called the company to find out what the 24.00 was for, and they informed me that the down payment that I paid was not enough because the local company took a percentage out of what I paid. So then the local company called me and said that I needed to come in to fill out a form exempting my husband as a driver, and that he had me down in the file as single. I couldn't figure that out when my husband and I went together and purchased the insurance and he asked us if we were married. So that week Thursday I went in to sign the new form that he said I needed. He said that since he had me down as single the rate he quoted me was more expensive and they will send me a new bill with the correct amount. I asked him specifically what should I do with the current bill I had and he said disregard that bill we will send you out a new one. I had not received a new bill at all. Now because the local company told me to disregard the bill, the out of state company cancelled my insurance in November 11 th unannounced to me. So I call them after my accident and they are saying that the local company should have never told me to disregard the original bill. So then I call the local company to confront them about their horrible advice, the manager was so rude she said that she had in my file a cancellation letters that was mailed out to me, and I told her I have never received anything of the sort. She said well you have a mailing problem then. I call the out of state company and ask them have they sent me any cancellation notices and she said they have sent nothing other then that original bill. Now the local company is lying too. What is going on?So I got cancelled over 24.00 bill? What?

My question is: Can they legally cancel my insurance without my knowledge? What did I do about the local company telling me to disregard the bill? Also the University asked me about my insurance, he kept calling me but of course I as in the hospital, so he left me a message saying that I needed to call him back asap or they will suspend my license. My driving record is spotless can they legally suspend me? Especially since I now find out that my insurance is cancelled? (I did call him with the insurance information but it was before I found out about the cancellation)Can I take legal action against the University for not salting or plowing. There was also another accident on campus, so then they began plowing?

Thank you for your advice

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">