• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Negotiating With Adjuster For Sons Auto Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KIMM3368

What is the name of your state? OHIO
I WAS OFFERED A SETTLEMENT OF $15,000 MINUS MEDICAL BILLS LEAVING MY SON A SETTLEMENT OF AROUND $9200.00. THE ADJUSTER STATES TO ME THAT ANYTHING OVER $10,000 MUST GO THRU THE COURT TO BE APPROVED SINCE HE WAS A MINOR WHEN THE ACCIDENT OCCURED, HE WAS 17. IS THIS TRUE?
HIS MEDICAL BILLS WERE AROUND $8,000 AND I JUST DO NOT FEEL THAT THE AMOUNT THEY ARE OFFERING IS A FAIR AMOUNT CONSIDERING HE MAY HAVE MEDICAL PROBLEMS WITH HIS LEG 20 YEARS FROM NOW.
ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
THANKS!
KIM:confused:

fcobarr

If his medical is around $8K then your son will only get $7K out of $15K.

Regardless, without somone looking at your file it's difficult to say what a lawyer can get him. Is this their final offer or first offer?

Keep in mind that the lawyer typically gets 1/3. So, a lawyer would have to get you a settlement of around $22,388K just for you to get back to the $15K you're presently being offered. What are the others persons BI limits?

I'm not the expert, but if you do file suit it can take a few years before you get anything. Also, your attorney will have to pay all sorts of fees (filing fees, expert witness, etc) which will come out of the settlement as well. Medical bills will be subtracted as well.

I would suggest talking to a lawyer and only pay him his percentage of anything over $22K. He will have to decide if the case is worth it. Get multiple opinions, no one here can tell you what it's worth.

ecmst12

Hence why I said CONSULT a lawyer, not necessarily HIRE one. And hiring a lawyer doesn't necessarily mean filing suit, either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">