• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbors car damaged by falling debris

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

msmo069

My 12 yr old son Threw a piece of wood into a tree in our front yard, trying to dislodge a football. The wood caught then fell. As it fell a neighbor's car passed under the tree and was hit by the wood.
How liable is my son?
We requested several estimates. She is demanding money.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

msmo069 said:
My 12 yr old son Threw a piece of wood into a tree in our front yard, trying to dislodge a football. The wood caught then fell. As it fell a neighbor's car passed under the tree and was hit by the wood.
How liable is my son?
We requested several estimates. She is demanding money.
My response:

Your son is 100% liable. She can demand all the money she wants, but the earning capacity of a 12 year old is extremely limited.

She can demand all the money she wants. Tell her to make a claim to her own insurance company. If she doesn't want to, or doesn't have insurance, she can always sue your son - and then wait years and years for him to be old enough to pay the judgment. Oh, the "Trailer Princess" will sue you also, but the judge will let you off the hook. When that happens, just watch the steam coming out of her ears !!

You, on the other hand are not liable for the negligence of your son. If he had purposefully, and maliciously caused the damages, then you would have been responsible.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">