• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's Chow Bit My Son in Our Yard!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Linrue

We live in Florida. Last summer, my nine year old son was riding his bike on our street when our neighbor's chow, who was being walked by the neighbor's twelve year old mentally handicapped son (he's on the level of a six year per his mother). Dog chased my son into our yard and bite him three times (witnessed by two other neighbors). He was treated at the ER, required no stitches but had two very deep puncture wounds (still has scars). The dog's owner came to the ER, acted very concerned and offered to pay medical bills. As we only had a small copayment and the owner promised to keep the dog locked up, I didn't pursue any further. We moved from that neighborhood approx. 2 months later.

Last week, I received a phone call from an old neighbor who told me that the this same dog had bit another child and had killed two of his cats (on his property). He wanted me to sign an affidavit with our local animal control folks (known as PAWS) in order to have the dog declared dangerous, I readily agreed although there was a previous report made of my son's dog bite. In talking with the Exec Director of PAWS, she told me that the owner was not willing to have this dog destroyed and the owner had promised to fight any action to do so. She also told me "I should't be telling you this but she also said your son was a hell child and deserved to be bitten".

I AM MAD and I'm turning into hell mom. Do I have any recourse now that it's almost a year later??? I want this dog destroyed and I want this woman to take responsibility for her dog's actions. I could kick myself now - maybe if I had done something when this initially happened I could have prevented another child from being bit and saved two cats. So much for trying to be the "nice neighbor". Also, there is a lady in our current neighborhood who walks her chow daily - if my son is outside playing and sees this dog he makes a beeline for home (even though he says he's not scared).

Does anyone have any advice?? Can I still take action? Thanks for any information you guys can provide.

P.S. She is in the military - dog is 8 years old - is there any way of finding out if this dog has previous similar behavior if I know where she was stationed?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Small Claims Court.

And, here's some extra advice - - when you're in court, stick to just the facts, and ease up on the emotional editorializing. No one wants to hear it - - least of all, a judge.

IAAL

L

Linrue

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Small Claims Court.

And, here's some extra advice - - when you're in court, stick to just the facts, and ease up on the emotional editorializing. No one wants to hear it - - least of all, a judge.

IAAL
Lawd a'mussy! Ah sho be sorry you's had ta hear mah emotional editorializing. Yous know how us folks be down in the deep south - we's tend to get a little bit touchy abouts our youngins and our livestock.

Yo name kind a fits me too suh...I AM ALWAYS LIABLE to get a big ole attitude when somebody gets all uppity wif me.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Try that crap in front of a judge, and watch what happens. Your child deserves only the best . . . too bad it's not you.

Obviously, you live in a trailer.

IAAL

Last edited:
L

Linrue

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Try that crap in front of a judge, and watch what happens.

Obviously, you live in a trailer.

IAAL
Why bless yo lil ole heart fuh thinkin I's live in a trailer....but no suh, we dun lost the ole mobile home. Some high falutin big city Stanford graduate lawyer in a 3 person law firm dun took it upon hisself to missappropriate the funds we would have gotten from lettin that ole moving picture company film that movie "Deliverance" on ours property.

Nows don't yous fret bout the lil one - he's a munching on a big ole bag of pork rinds on the back porch rights now whiles he practicing on his banjo.

C'mon now, tells the truth - you wished you could've been ole Ned Beatty dontcha??? I bet you have a mean squeal.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Linrue said:

Why bless yo lil ole heart fuh thinkin I's live in a trailer....but no suh, we dun lost the ole mobile home. Some high falutin big city Stanford graduate lawyer in a 3 person law firm dun took it upon hisself to missappropriate the funds we would have gotten from lettin that ole moving picture company film that movie "Deliverance" on ours property.

Nows don't yous fret bout the lil one - he's a munching on a big ole bag of pork rinds on the back porch rights now whiles he practicing on his banjo.

C'mon now, tells the truth - you wished you could've been ole Ned Beatty dontcha??? I bet you have a mean squeal.
My response:

. . . and, of course, you don't find it the least bit strange, or coincidental, that you can mention "Deliverance" and write in that manner, all in the same post?

Sounds like somebody has some first-hand experience in "squealin'" . . . hmmm.

Let me guess, you were born in Kentucky, then moved to Tennessee, were thrown out of that State, went to Virginia, then on to Mississippi (where you got your first-hand experience) and then, after a felony or two, wound up in Florida - - - the "I don't know who's President" State.

Yes, there's been a trailer park or two in your past . . .

IAAL

L

lauracam

Nah Vincent darlin', you must mean:

My haid's all stove up frum listenin to them two youngins squabble.

L

Linrue

IAAL vs. the Dueling Banjos

lauracam said:
My haid's all stove up frum listenin to them two youngins squabble.
Lawd have mercy chile - yous be needin to try sum good ole camphor for that stoved up haid of yurs.

Sho wish I culd jaw wif you but that ole IIAL has plumb got me tuckered out answering all that ole personal email he's sending me. The po soul thinks that I's can get him Ned Beatty's part in Deliverance II.

L

lauracam

You's goin 'bout this all wrong, Linrue.

All ya haid ta do wuz to claim you's a redhaid and IAAL woulda cum runnin' an slobberin' to hailp ya.

"So much for trying to be the "nice neighbor".

If mah chile woulda been bit by that mutt afta your chile, an I knew you didn't report the nip, I'd come over your house and personally bite the tar out of ya.

You's not a good folk (or neighbor as IAAL would call it.) an yew will not be invited to my home fer chitlins, grits and watermelon.

C

cmehappy

Lawd a mussy!

Id a sez she done got the bestez outta youz....IAAL...yuz jus no amittin it jus yet!

V

Vincent Cosent

I Suggest

that the dogs be released and the humans be impounded.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">