• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Never sued anyone before, do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robbob

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

When my wife was 8 months pregnant she was involved in a car accident. Thankfully, there were no complications for the baby due to this. My car sustained $4,882 in damages, my auto insurance covered the first $2,000 in medical bills, health insurance picked up the rest of the bill.
We've been contemplating suing the other drivers insurance company (the other driver was at fault), for two reasons. A prior injury to her wrist was aggravated as result of the crash, and continues to be bothersome, and of course she (and I) did have quite a bit of emotional distress.
My research into this seems to indicate I have a reasonable case, and I'm probably looking at a judgement in the 4k range. I have two questions. First, based on the brief summary I wrote, if we sue, what are the chances we'll get anything out of it, and two, is it possible, even if we win the case, could we still owe the lawyer if the judgement does'nt cover his fees? I know, the last question (and probably the first too) is stupid, but as I said before, the average judgement for this type of thing did'nt seem to be that high.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">