• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

new driver liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ryr28fan

What is the name of your state? sc my son has just received a drivers license and is wanting to get his own insurance policy from a different carrier then i use . he is 16 yrs old . my question is if he has his own insurance thru a different carrier and has a accident that exceeds his limits can they come back after my insurance since he lives in my household . also can he legally obtain insurance on his own under the age of 18 since it is a legal contract thanks for your help in advance

Lynx 36

Quote: " my question is if he has his own insurance thru a different carrier and has a accident that exceeds his limits can they come back after my insurance since he lives in my household .

Yes, your insurance would be secondary and your son's will be primary.

Quote: "also can he legally obtain insurance on his own under the age of 18 since it is a legal contract thanks for your help in advance"

I would think so. You may have to sign. An atty can answer the second half of your post better than me.

teflon_jones

Your son may have difficulty obtaining his own insurance since he's only 16. Or, if he can obtain it, the premium may be astronomical since teenage males are in the highest accident category. Also, if he lives under your roof, your insurance company may require you to list him on your policy and pay an additional premium for this, regardless of whether he has his own policy.

Lynx 36

Quote: "if he lives under your roof, your insurance company may require you to list him on your policy and pay an additional premium for this, regardless of whether he has his own policy."

I guarantee they will. If the kid was able to somehow get his own policy that premium would be a lot cheaper. But the kid will have to be added on regardless.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">