• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

new teenage driver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fermi

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? California
I have a teenager that just received his license. If he is only seldom driving one of my cars - which has full coverage - why do I need to add him to the policy? If there is an accident, won't it be covered anyway?

fermi

fermi said:
I have a teenager that just received his license. If he is only seldom driving one of my cars - which has full coverage - why do I need to add him to the policy? If there is an accident, won't it be covered anyway?

fermi
Unless a driver is specifically excluded from your policy, any licensed driver in your house needs to be on your policy.

Your insurance may pay for an accident your teenager has, but they may not pay it because its not a listed driver. Furthermore, they may drop you for not complying.

seniorjudge

fermi said:

fermi
It takes only one time....

moburkes

Why do you think he wouldn't need to be added? Are you saying that you shouldn't pay the premium for a newly licensed driver to be covered under your policy. Think about it. Compare yourself to your son. You have years of driving experience (let's pretend that you have a good record). Who is more costly to insure? Do you expect the insurance company to "eat" the premium that they should earn for insuring a newly licensed, male, 16 year old, who thinks that he can't get a ticket (won't be caught) and can't cause a serious accident (because he's an awesome driver)?

Of course you have to add him to the policy to be covered. Also, its probably less of a risk if you DIDN'T have full coverage. That way if he totalled one of your vehicles, the insurance company wouldn't have a claim to pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">