• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Newlywed Bride Rear-Ended 5/29/00;In Pain;HMO gives Run-Around; Help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Amanda Faye

What's a Girl To Do? Auto Accident-Not at Fault

Hello, my name is Amanda. Before my accident, I was happy and full energy. Now? Now I am mentally and physically exhausted and am only just 26 yrs old. I feel double if not almost triple my age. I was rear-ended by an 80 yr. old lady named Kaye. This happened about 23 days after my Wedding Day. She was cited fully for causing the accident. The speed limit was 55mph, I had slowed for a right-hand turn. I saw her 2 seconds before she hit,(I tensed up realizing what was about to happen).
I went to the emergency room, no broken bones but I had a severe headache and I hurt all over. Luckily I had my seatbelt on. I progressively got worse, so bad even that I had to take off work for bed rest for over a month. I could not stand straight up, (I have since been in Physical Therapy for that.)
My husband referred me to a Lawyer friend of his that he used to work with. I don't feel comfortable with her choices for me. My husband doesn't want to burn any bridges but I don't think she is helping me like I need someone to do. Every time I call she seems inconvienenced. Under her advice I have been trying to go through my Health Insurance. (An HMO.) I have been getting the run-around from them. Referrals to places that don't accept my Insurance, denied medical treatment 3 times now from the people listed in my Provider Book.
We don't have the finances to go out of pocket and pay for the proper doctors that will pay attention to helping my body feel better. My Lawyer said that she didn't know of any doctors that will work on a lien in town.
Today, I called to tell her what a hard time I was still having getting a an appointment. She said there was nothing she could do. I called her concerned before and she said don't worry about it, you've allready been through therapy once right after the accident. Now, today she is saying I'd better hurry up with getting medical attention because Kaye's Insurance want to wrap this all up. What can I do? I've been living on pain-pills, (hydrocodone/apap 650mgs.;muscle relaxers;anti-inflamatories;TMJ;Cortozone shots in my back, neck and shoulders;Vision has changed but I haven't been had time to get into the Optomotrist.) I have a severe headache daily and have constant pain throughout the day. I am exausted by the time I get home from working 8-5 Mon.-Fri but if I don't go I don't eat. What's a girl to do? I can't live on pain killers, Any advice?

[Edited by Amanda Faye on 11-29-2000 at 11:51 PM]

T

tarheel1

IT WOULD APPEAR AS THOUGH YOUR ATTORNEY IS MORE CONCERNED WITH SOMETHING ELSE BESIDES YOUR CASE!! yOUR ATTORNEY SHOULD BE CONCERNED WITH THE FACT THAT YOU STILL REQUIRE MEDICAL TREATMENT, AND NO ONE, NOT EVEN YOUR ATTORNEY, SHOULD BE PRESSURING YOU TO SETTLE. mAKE SURE YOU ARE WELL BEFORE YOU ENTERTAIN THE IDEA OF SETTLING YOUR CLAIM, BECAUSE ONCE YOU SETTLE, THAT'S IT. NO MORE MEDICAL BILLS PAID BY THE LIABLE PARTY. AS FAR AS YOUR ATTORNEY IS CONCERNED, THINK IT OVER VERY CAREFULLY AND ASK YOURSELF: EVEN THOUGH SHE IS MY HUSBAND'S FRIEND, IS SHE THE BEST ATTORNEY FOR ME??? WHO IS MORE IMPORTANT TO MY HUSBAND: ME, OR HIS FRIEND?? GOOD LUCK!!!!!

A

Amanda Faye

Tarheel1,
Thank you for your reply. I decided a few nights ago to drop her as my lawyer. Thanks for the advise and wish of good luck!
Happy Holidays,
Amanda

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">