• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

(NJ)Forgot to Renew License:Insurance Too High!

• Thread starter GradStudentNeedsHelp
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GradStudentNeedsHelp

Hi all,

Can anyone help me out with some legal advice?

Back in march of 2000, I got pulled over at a NJ airport for having a car that wasnt inspected for 2000. Being a student of math and computer science, school is (unfortunately) my entire life, and I had forgotten to renew my driver's license, which had run out two months earlier. I got a ticket for "no license".

Being fairly ignorant of the law, I thought I could pay the ticket and go on with my life, but between lost mail about my court date and having to leave for Texas for graduate school (I'm now at Rice University) I wasnt able to go to court. My mother appeared instead of me, and pleaded guilty to not having a valid license at the time.

I thought it was over and done with.

Moving to Texas requires me to get a new TX license and registration, as well as insurance, or so Im told. That "no licence" ticket is causing auto insurers to review my record as if it had only started at the time of that ticket. This places me uncomfortably into the top risk bracket, and gets me the beautiful premium of 2130 dollars/6 months. UGH.

I didnt realize that minor oversight of mine would cost me so dearly! Is it possible to change my record in some way so that my premiums can be lowered? As a student, 2130 dollars/6 months will force me to sell my car, because it's almost the same as my rent. On my student's salary, it's nearly 30% after tax.

What legal actions can I take to lower my premiums?

Sincerely,

GradStudentNeedsHelp

HomeGuru

The answer is there is no legal action you can take to lower your premiums.
You have just learned something that is not taught in school. Consider it a lesson in life.

G

GradStudentNeedsHelp

I meant taking legal action against the ticket for expired license. I didnt mean taking legal action against my insurer simply for having high premiums - that, clearly, is out of my hands.

Im sorry i was vague - I meant to ask a very specific legal question. That question, restated, is:

Is there legal action I can take after having plead guilty to the offense of having no license, because my license was expired?

In particular, my research in the area tells me that because of this particular violation (non-moving as it is) that insurance underwriting evaluates my driving record as if I had none, even though I have 5 years of experience.

D

djdj

I dont know but going to graduate school sounds like a waste of your money to me...

If you are so dumb you cant renew a license on time, or a inspection sticker that is starting you in the face everytime you drive the car...

Are you sure you are not getting Altzheimers at your age?

I hope i pissss you off so that you will take a paralegal courses in college, learn about the law, and how to defend yourself.

And losing the mail, not calling the court house to find out, about your court date, send your mom..........GEEZZZZ are you a bone head.

If you had appeared with PROOF OF INSURANCE ON THE DATE THEY PULLED YOU OVER, and all you forgot to do was renew your license, the judge may have dismissed it, since you were all wrapped up in moving to grad school.........but no you pleaded GUILTY...what a fool!

You see in America you have a right to a trial in a court if law, and YOU GAVE UP THAT RIGHT!

So get rid of the car or ask mommie, to help pay your insurance, and of course.....let this be a lesson to you.

.. I want a judge to tell me to my face Im Guilty!

[Edited by djdj on 02-11-2001 at 05:28 PM]

G

GradStudentNeedsHelp

He's got a pole stuck up there Somewhere...

Hey genius,

Until now I thought this forum was a place for mature people to ask for mature advice, rather than some adolescent ego-stroking circle jerk.

I came here to ask a legal question. Frankly, I dont know about every aspect of the law, and that presenting a valid insurance card (which i did have) would be a good reason for the judge to waive the charge. I'm sorry that I'm not as well adjusted to the law as you are.

I did not come here to have an argument with some poor old sap whos need for an illusion of social acceptance is fulfilled by flaming other people seeking help on a newsgroup. I dont know what kind of american you ****ing are, but THIS american thinks you should continue getting your gratification with your right and left hand, rather than taking it out on people who had more important things to do than study their ass off in driver's ed, like you apparently did. What made you ****ing think that I wasnt american in the first place, *******?

Maybe you never had to work hard in school, or, for that matter, ever learned how to make a contribution to the human race, but you could at least dignify yourself by answering the question well, and helping out as much as possible. Didnt you at least read the BIG LETTERS IN RED that said:

When Replying to a message, please be considerate, respectful and polite. Remember, there is a human being on the other side of that computer screen.

'Nuff said.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I don't necessarily agree with DJD's style of response; however, he's basically saying everything each one of us was thinking.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">