• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ - A Lot Of Points - Car Died - Do I need Insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

FocusOn718

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I currently, well... had a 91 Accord.

I have a lot of points and was (well, is) paying ~2,000/year.
(liability only)

The car died, I want to get rid of it... The insurance policy is under my own name and I live with my girlfriend, she has her own car insurance. I am on her policy as a "non-principal/occasional driver" (so I'm not REALLY being rated... but I am listed as "able to drive" or what not)

The thing is, I've heard it's bad to have a lapse in insurance? As well as, if I cancel my insurance... Will I have to be rated on my girlfriends since I live with her?

She drives me everywhere now, and I don't mind until my insurance points go down.

I was thinking something like, can I get a moped and insure that? Will that keep my insurance active, etc? And that way when I decide to get a car I'm not charged a penalty for having a lapse?

Also, is it possible to get some kind of "car" insurance without actually having a car? I go through NJ PAIP - Only place that will accept me.

Otherwise, do I have to just buy SOMETHING and have that rated even though I probably will NEVER drive it?

Thanks so much for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">