• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ provisional license liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coachrandall

What is the name of your state? NJ

Hi, My nephew has his provisional drivers license in NJ. He is 17 and is allowed only one other person in the car with him. I recently saw him driving with 2 other kids, who are 17, in the car with him. Besides the fine of $100 he would incur if he was stopped, what are the legal actions that could be taken against him or my sister if there was an accident where one of these other kids were seriously hurt?

ecmst12

Generally, this violation should not increase or decrease his liability in case of an accident. If he's at fault, then he is liable to all damages caused to all parties. If mom is the owner of the car, she may also be liable. He would just face additional citations/fines for violating the terms of his license, and his license could possibly be suspended.

coachrandall

Can the insurance company decline coverage to any of the passangers that are hurt and put the responsibility solely on my sister? Meaning if one addtional person is allowed in the car, the other would be her responsibilty to cover the costs?

moburkes

Can the insurance company decline coverage to any of the passangers that are hurt and put the responsibility solely on my sister? Meaning if one addtional person is allowed in the car, the other would be her responsibilty to cover the costs?
Nope, unless the driver is specifically excluded from coverage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">