• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Damage "Bump" in Parking Lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? California.

Yesterday, I was in the tiniest accident ever, going to the Library.

When you pull in there is an uphill drive, and then you have to make an immediate left or right - I made a right, ijust far enough to move maybe a few yards from the driveway, and ended up having to stop for a woman in the process of pulling out of her space.

Well I ended up sitting there for a good 3 or 4 minutes waiting for this woman to pull out of her space, and she was blocking the whole thing so I couldn't go around although she'd tried to wave me by her to do so.

I didn't want to really back up because of the driveway I had just come from, and it's downhill so I couldn't see if someone was coming, so I figured it would be much safer if I waited. One person came up behind me and started beeping, but there was nowhere to go, and they got mad and backed down the drive.

The woman pulling out ended up getting stuck (no clue how, she had plenty of room) and began gesturing frantically for me to back up. I checked behind me, and all was clear, and I had enough room to back up a few yards before hitting the driveway, and it had a stop sign so I figured I would be okay with backing up a foot or so.

Right as I was finished, I turned back to the front, put my car into drive again, and turned my hazards on so the next person to come up behind me wouldn't flip out. Right as I shifted into park, I heard "beep beep beep", turned my head to the back again, saw a girl in a truck, and heard a very light tap.

My first reaction was that she rear-ended me, but I also though maybe when I shifted my car rolled back a little and maybe tapped her? I don't know how she got behind me that quickly, though, as I had JUST looked behind me to see if it was clear, and there IS a stop sign she was supposed to have stopped at before turning behind me, so I don't really know. It all happened in a matter of seconds from the time I looked behind, backed up a foot or two, and turned forward and shifted back to drive.

Anyway, there was not one tiny speck of damage to either car, as whoever actually hit who couldn't have been moving even 1mph. It was more of a slight bumper kiss.

I only had one pen, so I let her copy my insurance (never been in an accident in the 10 years I've had a license so didn't know if we HAD to trade or not even for something with no damage) and instead of letting me copy hers, she just got in her truck and drove away. I at the very least was able to grab her plate number, just because she had my info.

So now, I am all paranoid that although there was absolutely 0 damage, she's going to use the fact that I didn't get her info to like, smash her truck with a bat and pretend I did it. The only person who saw it was the lady who was pulling out of her spot, and she left as soon as she finally figured out how to drive her car.

Last edited:

stephenk

go out today and take photos of your vehicle where the impact happened. Then go out and enjoy the holidays.

If she calls your carrier, provide your version and the photos. Until then, don't worry about it.

carofl93

I was in a similar accident in the drive through lane at McDonalds...stupid I know LMAO. I was distracted by my screaming toddler and the girl in front of me cut her engine so when I looked up I saw no tail lights and let off the brakes a little bit. She got my insurance info but refused to give me any of her information and refused to call the police. I called my insurance company as soon as I got home and informed them of the accident. Two weeks later she called, complaining of back and neck pain and claiming that our less than 5mph accident had caused damage to her transmission. My insurance company took care of everything...paid her $300 for a new bumper on her car and informed her she should have been seen by a doctor within the first week, especially considering she hit someone else during the same week. I felt stupid calling my insurance company, but I feel like it saved me some face rather than letting her get to them first.

Carol

stephenk said:
go out today and take photos of your vehicle where the impact happened. Then go out and enjoy the holidays.

If she calls your carrier, provide your version and the photos. Until then, don't worry about it.

Thanks. I have pictures already, as I was taking them anyway that evening to send back east to show my mom my new car.

I'm not even sure where our bumpers even touched, she was behind me and off to the side enough to be mostly in a blind spot, but just enough to see the driver side of the windshield when I turned back around to see what the heck was going on, and she ended up pulling her truck in front of me before getting out to see if there was any damage so I couldn't see from that either, :(

I'm slapping myself for even backing up that little bit, just because having the backup lights on even for that second or two and then shifting back to drive...... she could say I backed in to her.

I'll feel even worse if my car settled backward enough on the shift to tap her car, although I was paying attention to where I was backing up the entire couple of seconds I was doing it, I still don't know how she got behind me that fast.

I was just so sure that lady in front of me was going to whack my car from that end.

Grr.

carofl93 said:
I was in a similar accident in the drive through lane at McDonalds...stupid I know LMAO. I was distracted by my screaming toddler and the girl in front of me cut her engine so when I looked up I saw no tail lights and let off the brakes a little bit. She got my insurance info but refused to give me any of her information and refused to call the police. I called my insurance company as soon as I got home and informed them of the accident. Two weeks later she called, complaining of back and neck pain and claiming that our less than 5mph accident had caused damage to her transmission. My insurance company took care of everything...paid her $300 for a new bumper on her car and informed her she should have been seen by a doctor within the first week, especially considering she hit someone else during the same week. I felt stupid calling my insurance company, but I feel like it saved me some face rather than letting her get to them first.

Carol
Yeah, I felt kind of silly calling my Ins. Carrier, but now it's kind of giving me a little piece of mind that I did it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">