• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no fault accident and lost wages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swebb29

What is the name of your state? GA

I was recently in an auto accident where somone hit me. It was totally the other guys fault. I was not hurt or anything but my van was pretty smashed up. My van is a utility van which I work out of. Without my van I do not work. I missed several days of work because I did not have a van. I finally found a place that I could rent one from. State Farm says they do not have to pay lost wages since I was not hurt. It wasn't like this was my regular car, when this guy hit me it put me out of commission. My employer faxed over exactly what I had lost to them. So am I just out my lost wages or are they trying to screw me?

teflon_jones

Why did it take you several days to locate a replacement vehicle? The insurance company is not responsible for a delay on your part in obtaining one.

swebb29

Well, It took me a little while to even find a utility van to rent. I wasn't even going to bother renting one because of safety issues but I got to make a check. My van has bins and a divider for protection. The rental vans do not. I have alot of equipment that can go flying forward if I get into an accident.

teflon_jones

As I previously posted, the insurance company is not responsible for the delay in obtaining a replacement vehicle. The replacement vehicle also does not need to be an exact copy of the vehicle being replaced, just serve the same function.

Personally, I do think you have a reasonable argument. However, I don't think it's an argument you're going to win with the insurance company, especially since you did end up renting a van that wasn't up to your safety standards. You'd have a stronger argument if you hadn't rented a replacement at all that wasn't up to your standards.

PinHead

i agree

teflon_jones said:
As I previously posted, the insurance company is not responsible for the delay in obtaining a replacement vehicle. The replacement vehicle also does not need to be an exact copy of the vehicle being replaced, just serve the same function.

Personally, I do think you have a reasonable argument. However, I don't think it's an argument you're going to win with the insurance company, especially since you did end up renting a van that wasn't up to your safety standards. You'd have a stronger argument if you hadn't rented a replacement at all that wasn't up to your standards.

Precisely, that’s the point there. The insurance is not at any rate responsible for any delay in having a replacement for the destroyed van. Good luck then.

swebb29

Well I talked with them today. They offered to pay $590 of the $750 that I lost. I accepted. Thanks for the help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">