• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no fault - Parked Car hit while sleeping

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lomo1014

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York State

My LEASED 2004 Honda Civic was parked on a one-way, residential street and hit by a 16 year old kid, with no license and no permission to use his parents car. My car was towed by the towing company that was notified by police of the accident.

Question #1: Do I need to involve my insurance company or can I get an estimate from the body shop and give it directly to drivers (parents) insurance company? Am I obligated to involve my own insurance company as I'm afraid that my rates will go up, even though the car was parked and I was in bed sleeping. Aside from maybe the deductable, I should not have to pay anything out of pocket, correct?

Queston #2: Being that the car is leased, do I need to contact Honda to inform them of the accident? Keep in mind, the last thing I want to do is pay any money out of pocket, but I need to make sure that the car will still be under warranty after all the repairs are complete.

Question # 3: The body shop says that when the insurance rep. comes to look at the car, they will only look at the outside of the car and make the estimate based on what is visible. The body shop wants permission to "dismantle" the car in order to show the rep. the true damage, thus increasing the amount of work that would need to be done. Any thoughts?

Thanks much,
John

Last edited:

stephenk

Make a claim with your own insurance company. your rates will not go up since you are not at fault for the accident. plus, the work will be guaranteed and will be done completely.

demand that the other party and/or his parents reimburse you for the deductible. if they refuse, sue the kid and his parents in small claims court for the deductible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">