• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mrjules01

new york- I drive for a living and recently found out I have been driving without insuance and with a suspended licsense. My insurance company never told me that my payments go to a finance company and when the insurance company told me I was supposed to remit payment directly to them I did. Months have passed and I never received a cancellation notice. When the finance company did not receive payment the cancelled my insurance. Now, motor vehiclles says that i have to wait 174 days before I can get my licsense back and I have since lost wages and had to pay a fortune for cabs to get around. My insurance broker says that I followed directions to a "T" and I am just going to be screwed. DMV says I cannot even sell my car or have someone else register it. I feel that there has to be something that can be done to set this right. I need help!!

JETX

Something doesn't sound right here....

Q1) How and why did your license get suspended?? (Suspension doesn't just 'happen' due to no insurance.. without some process and notification.)
Q2) Who got the money that you claim you were paying??
Q3) Since you claim that you were making payments directly to the insurance company, why would they cancel your policy??
Q4) What does your lender agreement say about making payments?
Q5) What response did you get from the insurance company when you asked them about the cancellation in WRITING??
Q6) What response did you get from the 'lender' when you asked them about the cancellation in WRITING??

M

mrjules01

The reason my licsense was suspended was because I did not turn in the plates to my vehicle. When my driving priveleges were suspended and I did not turn in the plates, they suspended my license. My insurance company says they sent me letters and returned my money orders and they were returned to sender. They do state that they received the money. They cancelled my policy because apparently a finance company paid my year of insurance in full to the insurance company. So when I made my payments to the insurance company, they never contacted the financing company or me to tell me that payments were being sent to the wrong place. The finance company just figured I was not paying the bill and cancelled the policy. I have never experienced anything like this and I have been an insued driver for more than 10 years. Thank goodness I did not get into any accidents.

Last edited:
C

CUDALIS

check with the dmv to see whether or not you are eligible for a restricted license, in order to travel to & from work. finance companys do not and cannot cancel insurance policies. they make a request to the insurance company to cancel, because they have not received the premium.( the insurance company was paid in full, by the finance company) the thing that is curious to me is, your broker must have received notice as well, from the finance company, re: nonpayment and their impending request to the insurance co. for a cancellation of your policy.

JETX

This one still smells like bad fish.....

"My insurance company never told me that my payments go to a finance company and when the insurance company told me I was supposed to remit payment directly to them I did."

Then:
"My insurance company says they sent me letters and returned my money orders and they were returned to sender."

Gee, seems to me that if I was paying my insurance by money order and then getting them back.... I would think something was happening!!

And the writer STILL hasn't explained the suspended license... or the requirement for returning the tags. These things don't just 'happen' without something bringing it to the attention of the authorities.

M

mrjules01

once again-The money orders that i sent outwee returned by the insurance company(or so they say). They state that when they sent them back to me, they received hem back as uneliverable. SO therfore I had no idea that they weren't being accepted.

The dmv states that since there was no insurance on my vehicle that the new state law is something like an $8.00 fine per day of keeping the plates + a license suspension. I can't explain why the law works like that. I have kept old plates before for like a month or so without reprecussion. But unfortunately, DMV states this is a new law

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">