• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michpark

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

My friend was driving my car, and he got into an accident. Apparently, the light was turning yellow and the car in front of him started to go through the light and he followed them. However, after the lead car got into the intersection the driver changed her mind and slammed on the brakes causing my friend to rear end the car. Unfortunately, I did not have insurance at the time of the accident and I had to pay out of pocket all the damages incured to my vehicle. Now over two years later I have received a letter from the other driver's insurance company stating that I may be obligated to reimburse them for the damages they payed out. Is this true? Should I hire an attourney?

S

shell007

michpark said:

My friend was driving my car, and he got into an accident. Apparently, the light was turning yellow and the car in front of him started to go through the light and he followed them. However, after the lead car got into the intersection the driver changed her mind and slammed on the brakes causing my friend to rear end the car. Unfortunately, I did not have insurance at the time of the accident and I had to pay out of pocket all the damages incured to my vehicle. Now over two years later I have received a letter from the other driver's insurance company stating that I may be obligated to reimburse them for the damages they payed out.
Is this true?
Should I hire an attourney?
Yes this is true! You had no insurance...You pay!!

If you want to fight it...you could hire an attorney, but you know that this is only going to cost you MORE money. Those attorney's aren't cheap!!

T

Trucking Mad

Sol New Jersey

michpark said:

My friend was driving my car, and he got into an accident. Apparently, the light was turning yellow and the car in front of him started to go through the light and he followed them. However, after the lead car got into the intersection the driver changed her mind and slammed on the brakes causing my friend to rear end the car. Unfortunately, I did not have insurance at the time of the accident and I had to pay out of pocket all the damages incured to my vehicle. Now over two years later I have received a letter from the other driver's insurance company stating that I may be obligated to reimburse them for the damages they payed out. Is this true? Should I hire an attourney?
The purpose ot the (SOL) statue of limitations were to bar claims for which evidence may have been lost, memories faded & witnesses disappear "RR TELEGRAPHERS v. RAILWAY EXPRESS, 321 us 342 (1944). New Jersey's (SOL) is 2 yrs. from the date of the accident. SOL's differ from state to state.
Did this accident happen in NJ. or another state? :cool:

justalayman

The date of the accident in respect to the date of filing is critical in determining SOL.

As far as if you have to pay, even if you are responsible because it was your car, your friend would have a responsibility to you for the damages. You may not be liable because you were not the driver.

Your friend is also probably responsible to you for the damages he caused to your car.

Wait for others on this one.

S

shell007

justalayman said:
The date of the accident in respect to the date of filing is critical in determining SOL.

As far as if you have to pay, even if you are responsible because it was your car, your friend would have a responsibility to you for the damages. You may not be liable because you were not the driver.

Your friend is also probably responsible to you for the damages he caused to your car.

Wait for others on this one.
In all actuality the owner of the vehicle is first in line re: responsibility. If the owner of the vehicle has to pay, then the owner can then sue the "driver" for what the owner is out.

justalayman

shellandty said:
In all actuality the owner of the vehicle is first in line re: responsibility. If the owner of the vehicle has to pay, then the owner can then sue the "driver" for what the owner is out.
Yes yes Shell. That's why I was intentionally vague. I did not have a correct or complete answer but no previous post even mentioned the possibility of the driver having some liability.

Just to let the OP know and hoping one of the big guns show up. (or is that bigguns, I guess it would depend on who answers)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">