• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Insurance in Another Persons Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alabama334

What is the name of your state? Alabama
My sister allowed me use her girlfriend car inwhich I had an accident (my fault) but the young lady car I used did not have any insurance. Now I am being held liable for everything. I am being sued by the occupant of the other car and the great state of alabama wants to suspend my licsense unless I file a SR-21 form or a security bond of $4100. I dont own a vechicle but I do have valid drivers license. Why am I the only person being sued and if this young lady knowingly loaned her car to someone w/o valid insurance shouldn't she be liable as well. Please someone help Me get on the right path**************... I don't know what to do************** I scared and confused!!! :confused:

alnorth

First of all, I need to get the quick obligatory message out of the way: you were a fool to drive without insurance. Please dont do it again.

Now thats out of the way, there are two different parties going after you. The other driver could sue you and the owner, and if neither of you were smart enough to pick up insurance one or both of you will pay. You are obviously more directly responsible, though. In addition to that, the insurance company would have given you a lawyer if you had coverage, as it is your pretty much on your own.

As far as the state of Alabama is concerned, they are only nailing you for breaking their laws on driving without insurance. I dont know if the owner of the car violated a law, but thats not really your concern. She's just possibly liable (along with you) in a lawsuit against the other driver.

Can you afford a lawyer? Youll need to defend yourself in the lawsuit. As for the state, an SR-22 simply means you need to get insurance, and the SR-22 form will compel the insurance company to notify the state immediately if you cancel or dont pay the insurance. This type of coverage is usually pretty expensive too. The other option ($4,100 bond) I'm guessing is basically you self-insuring with cash. I'm surprised the state isnt also hitting you with a fine, unless thats coming too.

Last edited:

ecmst12

I don't know why you're the only person being sued, usually the owner of the vehicle will also be named. But the accident was your fault so the primary (financial) responsibility will be yours. Your choices are to hire a lawyer to defend you, or attempt to work out a payment plan with the other party's attorney.

Ozark_Sophist

First of all, I need to get the quick obligatory message out of the way: you were a fool to drive without insurance. Please dont do it again.
The second obligatory message is the driver is responsible to make sure the car is insured, properly registered, and that there is no contraband in the vehicle (guns, drugs, bodies). When you borrow a car, verify these three little things. :)

moburkes

You're mad because SHE didn't have insurance? You didn't mention how your sister was able to loan you someone ELSE'S vehicle. Nor, did you mention the lawsuit that the owner of the vehicle can/will/has filed against you for the damage to caused to her car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">