• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no insurance auto accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lar95695

I Live in California my car insurance had just expired in november. I was going through an intersection with the stop sign on my side i was almost through the intersection when a car hit me at my rear door. He did not see me i did not see him. I believe he must have been speeding the zone was only 25mph. atleast 35. He has full coverage on his vehicle.
I feel we both may have had some fault. people are saying because i had no insurance i am totally at fault. What are the california laws in this case am I totally at fault? I recieved a no insurance ticket by the police. I am in fear that his insurance company will make me pay everything. no injuries appeared to have happen. The passengers in his car were teenage girls worried about making it to school on time. So they said they were fine jumped in a passerbye's car and left.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

lar95695 said:
I Live in California my car insurance had just expired in november. I was going through an intersection with the stop sign on my side i was almost through the intersection when a car hit me at my rear door. He did not see me i did not see him. I believe he must have been speeding the zone was only 25mph. atleast 35. He has full coverage on his vehicle.
I feel we both may have had some fault. people are saying because i had no insurance i am totally at fault. What are the california laws in this case am I totally at fault? I recieved a no insurance ticket by the police. I am in fear that his insurance company will make me pay everything. no injuries appeared to have happen. The passengers in his car were teenage girls worried about making it to school on time. So they said they were fine jumped in a passerbye's car and left.
My response:

From the way you describe things, it appears that you are at fault. You had the stop sign. It doesn't matter if the other driver was moving 100 mph, you still had a duty to make sure your passage through the intersection could be made safely. Those who look, but don't see, are negligent.

You will be tagged for their injuries, property damage, etc. Undoubtedly, their insurance will pay them under their "Uninsured Motorist" provisions of their policy, and then their insurance company will come after you for reimbursement.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">