• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No insurance auto accident - at fault = sued?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

normal_life

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Texas

I don't know what to do right now, hopefully, I can get some advice from this board. I'm getting pretty antsy about my situation.

Basically, I damaged another vehicle when I hit it from behind. My vehicle did not have ANY insurance covering it at the time. I did not get any tickets. (edit: I was searching for cheaper insurance at the time... I had just recently ended my coverage)

The victim vehicle was broken down on the road. It was dark, foggy and drizzled a bit. I didn't see it until too late (I was tired from work and had three mixed drinks with friends that evening at restaurant).

Driver from other party was not injured (but he later told me that he was going to doctor to check for possible whip-lash). The other party was drunk and told me so at the time of the incident (not that it matters in this case). Passenger with the driver at the time of the incident went to the hospital for a broken arm (from what I heard, but not seen).

I'm stupid, I know... but I don't want to go to jail... or be sued for tens and thousands of dollars. This is why I'm scared. I don't have tens and thousands of dollar of money, but I am willing to pay for damage to vehicle and the broken arm medical bill.

The other party told me that the vehicle he purchased was for $2500.

The other party's insurance company is asking to speak to me on the phone later today. I was told that they (auto insurance company) could be friendly only to backstab you with all the information you provide them.

I'm not wild or someone who do criminal things in life. I loved my vehicle and drive safe 90% of the time... I was just extremely tired that night and thought I had the ability to head home after a few drinks. I know I made a big mistake.... is there no help for me on this issue?

Thanks,
I want my life back.....

HomeGuru

normal_life said:
What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Texas

I don't know what to do right now, hopefully, I can get some advice from this board. I'm getting pretty antsy about my situation.

Basically, I damaged another vehicle when I hit it from behind. My vehicle did not have ANY insurance covering it at the time. I did not get any tickets. (edit: I was searching for cheaper insurance at the time... I had just recently ended my coverage)

**A: bottomline is that you had no insurance at the time of the accident.

The victim vehicle was broken down on the road. It was dark, foggy and drizzled a bit. I didn't see it until too late (I was tired from work and had three mixed drinks with friends that evening at restaurant).

Driver from other party was not injured (but he later told me that he was going to doctor to check for possible whip-lash). The other party was drunk and told me so at the time of the incident (not that it matters in this case). Passenger with the driver at the time of the incident went to the hospital for a broken arm (from what I heard, but not seen).

I'm stupid, I know... but I don't want to go to jail... or be sued for tens and thousands of dollars. This is why I'm scared. I don't have tens and thousands of dollar of money, but I am willing to pay for damage to vehicle and the broken arm medical bill.

The other party told me that the vehicle he purchased was for $2500.

The other party's insurance company is asking to speak to me on the phone later today. I was told that they (auto insurance company) could be friendly only to backstab you with all the information you provide them.

**A: quite possibly correct.

I'm not wild or someone who do criminal things in life. I loved my vehicle and drive safe 90% of the time...

**A: then I guess this accident and DUI falls into the 10% of the time that you DO NOT drive safe.

I was just extremely tired that night and thought I had the ability to head home after a few drinks. I know I made a big mistake.... is there no help for me on this issue?

Thanks,
I want my life back.....

**A: you have your life, now make it better.

G

gimli

normal_life - Basically the insurance company will come after you for the damages that you caused. They will probably record your conversation, and get you to admit that you were responsible for the damages. They will ask you for your drivers license #, and will have your license revoked till all the damages are paid in full, or a notarized statement showing payment arrangements have been made.

Claiming bankruptcy or paying for the damages out of pocket, will be the only way of getting out the financial mess you have caused. Though, it could take a few months or years before the people you hit to settle with the insurance company.

Cooperation is the key to getting through this. Make sure to get all estimates of the damages before signing or agreeing to pay them. It might be a good idea to set a up a few consultations with your local lawyers to gain advice and possibly someone to represent you to the insurance company.

note: Though you did not get a ticket for the accident. Now you do not have any documented proof of damages that you caused. Was it a good decision on your behalf? Time will tell.

N

normal_life

Thanks for the information. This really helps a lot, because I was all gloom and doom thinking only horrible stories about what the insurance company will do to me (in terms of attempting to ring tens and thousands of dollars from me). I'm going to try and be careful on how I handle this. My friend's sister is a lawyer (but not in Texas), who is willing to help me out in making sure any documents I end up signing are clear and final (eg. no loop-holes for future issues). The other party's insurance representative did not contact me yesterday like they said they would, so I am expecting something today... otherwise, I'll just call them up and see what's going on. What a way to ruin my life (and financial credit)... I hope I can put an end to this issue as soon as possible.

Working it one step at a time..... (hopefully)

N

normal_life

Oh ... BTW... the owner of the vehicle I hit mentioned that he wanted a new vehicle. He "said" he wasn't going to screw me over, and that he would just settle with the insurance company. He mentioned that he would go to the doctor to check for whiplash during our last conversation.

Do you think it will be unwise for me to call this person back to check on his status? I just want to know how that person is doing. He was in perfect condition (a scratch or two) when I talked to him in person last time. Also his friend suppose to have gone to the doctors for a broken arm, I'd like to know more about that as well. Not sure if I should inquire about it through them....

Normal_life

K

kay1330

soft tissue injury does not usually show right after accident, I was hit by someone on Jan. 7 and my injuries just keep getting worse. Be thankful no one hit you when you were not expecting it. And remember whiplash is a real injury!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">