• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No insurance - but wasn't my fault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kesco1

What is the name of your state? California

HELP!

What happens if I have no insurance yet was NOT at fault? In a parking lot scuddle, I was backing up into the throughfare and was just beginning to put my car into first gear, when a car backed up into the side of my car, it was all very quick. The other driver insists that I had backed up into him and was attempting to intimidate me into admitting it. His insurance company called me originally, and I gave my side of the story, now they are calling me again and asking me for my insurance information, which he knew I did not have? Am I in trouble? The damage on my car was minimal, yet there is a dent. He drives a brand new BMW his dad just bought for him. What should I do?

Some Random Guy

you are in trouble

In any case of he-said/she-said, the first person caught in a lie or doing anything with unclean hands generally loses. By driving illegally without insurance, your word on what happened means almost nothing compared to the legal driver who hit you.

The only recourse you have is the physical evidence. You do have photographs of the accident, right? But seriously, if the side of your car is damaged and the rear of his car is damaged, it will be hard for the other guy to argue that your car slid sideways into his rear in the parking lot. If you smashed corners where the fault is less obvious, then expect to get screwed.

Plus of course, expect that police wil be informed of your lack of insurance, and that any attempt to get insurance in the future will result in higher rates when they see you have beenn driving illegally. Have fun!

Kesco1

Yes I have photo's of the side of my car and the back of his bumper

First off, I do know that I was illegal and I am not defending NOT having insurance, it was a feed my children and have a roof over our head situation over insurance. So this I do know.

Initially in our interview his insurance agent insinuated that it would be hard for him to argue that it was my fault considering the damages. She asked me to take my car to THEIR auto inspection location to appraise the damage to my car. She did not ask me for my insurance information and now she left me a message at home to call her with my insurance information.

Do I just go along with what they are asking for.... me to take my car to their inspection location and call them back and tell them I have no insurance. Perhaps I should do everything I can (which really isn't much) and get an attorney, which I am sure I cannit afford?

teflon_jones

:rolleyes:
Some Random Guy said:
By driving illegally without insurance, your word on what happened means almost nothing compared to the legal driver who hit you.
What are you basing this amazingly ridiculous opinion on?

Some Random Guy said:
Plus of course, expect that police wil be informed of your lack of insurance
And just who is going to do this?

Some Random Guy said:
and that any attempt to get insurance in the future will result in higher rates when they see you have beenn driving illegally.
And this of course is not true.

Here's some useful advice:
Ask the other insurance company why they want your insurance company information when it's clearly the other driver's fault. Be assertive and make it clear that their policy holder is obviously 100% at fault and you have photos to back this up. If they continue to pursue it, tell them that you'll just file a claim in small claims court against the other person to get your damages paid for. They won't want you to do this because they'll have to provide an attorney to the other person for this, and they're most likely going to lose the case.

As for having their appraiser look at the damages, request that the appraiser come to your home or work to look at the vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">