• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no insurance, car accident, not my fault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Maine.
I wrote on the forum above also. I was in a four car pile up. I hit the car in front of me causing 1,400. 00 in damage. But i was also pushed into that car a second time by the car behind me. I ran out of insurance 3 days ago. I found out today the driver who rearended me has no insurance to, though i got a ticket because i told the officer i wasn't sure about my insurance, and she did not but gave him the card anyway. So she who hit me with no insurance, went to the hospitable. Can she sue me? Even though it was her that ran into me. I know it is my responsibility for the car in front of me, but i don't think her damage would have been has bad if the rear car hadn't smashed into me causing me to really smash into the car in front of me. It was said that the four car pile up was do to weather conditions, I did slide, while i was slowing, but the car in back of me hit me full blast and my car is completely smashed and undrivable. What are my rights here, because of lapsed insurance? I am going to have to drop out of college with out my car! What can i do... I have not only lost my car, but if i have to drop out of college i will owe thousands for this semester. I love school and see it as my way out of living in poverty. What can I do. Please help? Advice...?

Alex02

You said that she slammed into your car, contact her for payment for damages for your car. Does the police report say that she slammed into the back of your car? If it does, take her to small claims court with an estimate and collect. I dont know what the law is on 2 people with no insurance battling it out so your going to have to find that out..
im not a lawyer by the way

C

cur7is

Did you know your insurance had expired? If so, you shouldn't have been driving. Had you not been driving, you wouldn't have been there and the accident wouldn't have had you involved. Thus, you wouldn't have been liable and the damages wouldn't have been as great. That's how they'll look at it. Anyone who drives when they're not supposed to be and there's an accident are automatically at fault, because if they hadn't been driving the accident wouldn't have happened. However, you're more than welcome to sue. Who knows? You might win.

stephenk

cur7is is wrong.

you are not automatically at fault in an acciddent if you have no insurance or your license is suspended/expired.

get an estimate for the damage to your car and contact the other driver. you would be entitled to the rear damage to your car only, since you hit the car ahead of you first. If the other driver refuses to settle, go ahead and sue in small claims court.

get a copy of the police report.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">