• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No insurance, Expired registration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

talkincat

I'm in Lincoln, Nebraska. I was pulled over for having an expired sticker on my license plate on 8/31. It had been good through July. I gave the officer my drivers license, insurance card and registration, and the insurance card was expired. I thought my father (who lives in Iowa) had been paying me insurance, but he hasn't been. I was given the citation from the officer, and I have to appear in court on 10/3, I basically have two questions;

1. Apart from getting current insurance and renewing my registration, which I'll take care of this week, is there anything else I can/should do to help my case when I go to court?

2. I'd also like to know what kind of punishment I'm looking at. The officer mentioned that the fine for driving with expired registration is $25 plus court costs, but the expired insurance is what worries me. Is there anybody out there familiar enough with the laws in Nebraska who can tell me what the maximum penalty is for driving without insurance, and tell me what I'm likely to be given? I don't have any criminal record of any kind, I've never been pulled over before.

TYRIS

talkincat said:
I'm in Lincoln, Nebraska. I was pulled over for having an expired sticker on my license plate on 8/31. It had been good through July. I gave the officer my drivers license, insurance card and registration, and the insurance card was expired. I thought my father (who lives in Iowa) had been paying me insurance, but he hasn't been. I was given the citation from the officer, and I have to appear in court on 10/3, I basically have two questions;

1. Apart from getting current insurance and renewing my registration, which I'll take care of this week, is there anything else I can/should do to help my case when I go to court?

2. I'd also like to know what kind of punishment I'm looking at. The officer mentioned that the fine for driving with expired registration is $25 plus court costs, but the expired insurance is what worries me. Is there anybody out there familiar enough with the laws in Nebraska who can tell me what the maximum penalty is for driving without insurance, and tell me what I'm likely to be given? I don't have any criminal record of any kind, I've never been pulled over before.

expired registration and no proof of insurance are both infractions. having no insurance is usually a pretty hefty fine, however, if you can show proof to the judge at the time of your court date that you have current insurance, that usually will lesson the amount of money you will have to pay. i can't tell you what the maximum fine will be, but it will probably a few hundred dollars.

TYRIS

K

klepto

I think daddy is going to have come up with some money for you, since he is the cause of your problems.

Or is he boozing it away?

Take him to AA and tell the judge he is an alcoholic thats why he never paid the insurance, it could work!

what state is your license? they will probably suspended it thats why claiming daddie is a drunk/druggie might be you only hope

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">