• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No insurance NOT at fault Pennsylvania

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Partner

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I had an accident, was hit from the rear. It totaled my car. Now the other party's insurance company says that since my insurance had elapsed, they do not have to pay for medical bills or pain and suffering. They only want to pay for my car.

There were 4 people in the car and none pass the minimum limit by themselves. They indicate that I have $5,000 threshold , per person, that i must pass before getting any monies.

Is that true?

JETX

"Is that true?"
*** Yes.

Pennsylvania is a "choice no-fault" state, which means that, as a driver, you can choose to insure yourself under the tort system or the no fault system (also called "limited tort").

Under the full tort system, you retain unlimited rights to sue the other party in an auto accident. Under the limited tort system, you can sue for direct expenses, but not for non-economic damages (like "pain and suffering") unless injuries are very serious. Purchasing a policy under the limited tort system will reduce your premium.

In either case, Pennsylvania auto insurance laws require all drivers to carry liability and medical benefits coverages. Pennsylvania liability minimums are 15/30/5. (That's $15,000 per person for injuries you cause to the other party, up to 30,000 for all, and $5,000 for any damage that you cause to the other driver's car and/or property.)

Medical benefits coverage of at least $5,000 is also required by Pennsylvania auto insurance laws. In the event of an accident, this policy will help cover the cost of your injuries, regardless of who was at fault.

I suggest you review the information at the following sites to see what 'no fault' means in your state:
http://www.civilrights.com/htdocs/auto_insurance.html
http://auto.insurance.com/insurance_options/auto/auto_basics_no_fault_ins.asp

P

Partner

any Alternatives??

Is there anything I could to do to not lose everything?

No serious injuries but the bills are high, not over 5000 per person though..

JETX

"Is there anything I could to do to not lose everything?"
*** Not really. Depending on your complete financial condition, you can consider filing bankruptcy, but that could still cause loss of some assets.

P

Partner

thanks

from this one, I promise that I will learn or leave

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">