• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no insurance in Texas/accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stupidme2

What is the name of your state? Texas

I live in Texas and due to being laid off work for 5 months, I let my insurance lapse. Not a smart thing to do, I know. The people that I finance my car through took out that 'forced insurance' thing where my car gets fixed no matter what, but no injuries or other people's cars get paid for. Last week, I was turning left into a clear lane from a center median type thing. Once I was in the lane, I was struck on the right fender of my car hard enough that it spun me back across the median and into another car that was waiting to turn left as well. My car ended up sideways on the median and the car that hit me ended up upside down further down the street. I believe that the car that hit me was in the center lane further back and then switched lanes into me. The damage on my car from her car is very minor. Had I not spun around and hit the other car, my car would have been drivable. The lady in the car I hit was fine. The lady that flipped her car had an open fracture of her arm. I don't have her info yet because it will be on the police report as she left by ambulance. I also don't know who they are ruling at fault. My main concern is, what do I do about not having insurance? I gave the officer my EXPIRED card at the scene and he didn't give me a ticket. I am sure I will be getting one though! I already told the lady who I hit's insurance company that I don't have insurance and already confirmed with my ex-insurance company that I am indeed canceled. I gave them the 'forced insurance' info, but that won't do them very much good. So what will happen to me if this is ruled my fault?? Please help without lecturing me for not having insurance. I KNOW it was stupid. Thank you.

stephenk

After Texas suspends your license for not having insurance, then the real fun begins.

If you are found at fault, the injured party may proceed under their uninsured coverage to get paid for their medical bills, loss of earnings, property damage and pain and suffering.

Once they are paid, their insurance company will go after you to reimburse them for the money they paid. You can try and settle and arrange payments.

OR

the other party may just decide to sue you and get a judgment that will follow you around for many years. Your wages could be garnished, property taken, etc.

OR

you can file bankruptcy.

Gather what money you do have and consult with civil attorney for specific details.

S

stupidme2

Stephen, how do you know the Texas law? Are you a lawyer? And what happens if it is her fault?

K

knotcops

Hmmm, I always thought turning left into oncoming traffic and getting hit would be your fault. Trust an attorney to think otherwise!! I'm sure there are extenuating circumstances at times, but what happened to common sense?

pimp

still could turn out bad

Even if it isn't your fault the Texas DMV still can suspend your liscense. This could get expensive.

stupidme2 said:
Stephen, how do you know the Texas law? Are you a lawyer? And what happens if it is her fault?

Last edited:

pimp

still could turn out bad

Even if it isn't your fault the Texas DMV still can suspend your liscense.

stupidme2 said:

pimp

knotcops said:
Hmmm, I always thought turning left into oncoming traffic and getting hit would be your fault. Trust an attorney to think otherwise!! I'm sure there are extenuating circumstances at times, but what happened to common sense?
I agree with with you knotcaps. It seems like his fault.

stephenk

I qualified my answer regarding fault because we dont all of the facts. I have defended clients who made a left turn and clients who hit left turning vehicles and have won defending both scenarios.

speed of oncoming car, where was the left turning car hit, color of traffic signal, etc. all are to be considered regarding fault.

The original poster may be 100% at fault or maybe 50% at fault. I doubt he will get off completely.

S

stupidme2

Ok guys, here is the deal. I was NOT turning left into traffic at a light. I was in the middle at one of those median things. My lane was clear and a car that was in the MIDDLE lane switched lanes into me after I turned. So basically the fact that I turned had nothing to do with it. I am ok with losing my liscence, however I don't want to be sued for this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">