• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No insurance ticket, help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wilke_jb

What is the name of your state? Wv

I was recently stopped for no inspection sticker - and was cited with 'no insurance' I had just got the car that was sentanced to the junk yard from a friend - and was only driving the car 5 miles to my house to take it apart and use the parts to repair my other car which has insurance and is completly legal. I called the magistrate, whom I must go before, and they said that I would have to pay the fine and that my license would be suspended for one month! I have no way to get to work that is about 45min from home. My wife and my 1.5 yr old son would have to take me to and from work - during winter - on an extremely dangerous road. This is not acceptable and I don't know what to do to get out of the ticket. I acknoledge that I am completely guilty and that I deserve to be punished in some form - But this makes me feel like a criminal! I have no prior charges, exept for a few speeding tickets over 5 yrs ago. I had never done this before nor will I ever again. Please help,
Jason

You Are Guilty

wilke_jb said:
Please help
What exactly would you like? Want us to start a collection so you can take a taxi for a month? Do you want us to drive you around?

You admitted you were guilty - it's hard to negotiate that.

R

Raisinette

wilke_jb said:
What is the name of your state? Wv

I was recently stopped for no inspection sticker - and was cited with 'no insurance' I had just got the car that was sentanced to the junk yard from a friend - and was only driving the car 5 miles to my house to take it apart and use the parts to repair my other car which has insurance and is completly legal. I called the magistrate, whom I must go before, and they said that I would have to pay the fine and that my license would be suspended for one month! I have no way to get to work that is about 45min from home. My wife and my 1.5 yr old son would have to take me to and from work - during winter - on an extremely dangerous road. This is not acceptable and I don't know what to do to get out of the ticket. I acknoledge that I am completely guilty and that I deserve to be punished in some form - But this makes me feel like a criminal! I have no prior charges, exept for a few speeding tickets over 5 yrs ago. I had never done this before nor will I ever again. Please help,
Jason
Had you purchased the car? How long ago? How many other cars do you have? Are they insured?

Does "no inspection sticker" mean it is illegal for anyone to drive the car on the road?

wilke_jb

Thanks for the responses, even the sarcastic one,

In response to the first post -
If you are offering to give me a ride everyday for a month, you can stay at my house - or the collection for a cab could be an option.

In regards to the second post-
I actually owned the car about a year ago, gave it to a good friend, then, when the car was in too bad a shape to fix, I told him I wanted it back for parts. I never actually purchased the car back from him, but I wouldn't think of involving him in this at all. I have two other cars that are fully legal, including insurance and they have always been as such. 'No inspection sticker' means that the car is illegal to drive but that is a minor offense compared to the 'no insurance'

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited:
R

Raisinette

wilke_jb said:
Thanks for the responses, even the sarcastic one,

In response to the first post -
If you are offering to give me a ride everyday for a month, you can stay at my house - or the collection for a cab could be an option.

In regards to the second post-
I actually owned the car about a year ago, gave it to a good friend, then, when the car was in too bad a shape to fix, I told him I wanted it back for parts. I never actually purchased the car back from him, but I wouldn't think of involving him in this at all. I have two other cars that are fully legal, including insurance and they have always been as such. 'No inspection sticker' means that the car is illegal to drive but that is a minor offense compared to the 'no insurance'

Thanks,
Jason

Well, Jason, then I think you are probably cooked. If you had purchased the car within the last 30 days, and all of your other cars were insured, there is usually a stipulation in your insurance contract that permits you to add coverage. You were driving this vehicle without insurance and have no access to obtain it retrospectively. You will have to throw yourself upon the mercy of the court or fathom another way to cope with a 30-day suspension.

Tough lesson in school of hard knocks & personal responsibility. :( Try to grow up from it, not down.

wilke_jb

Well,
Thanks for the reply, thats what I thought - but, you mention if I had purchased the car ... - well I did sort of - I mean my freind gave it back to me under the understanding that the car was mine, and he has the title - which he is going to give to me signed. So are you saying that if I own the car, my insurance should cover it, even if I hadn't transferred the title yet or called my insurance company?

R

Raisinette

wilke_jb said:
Well,
Thanks for the reply, thats what I thought - but, you mention if I had purchased the car ... - well I did sort of - I mean my freind gave it back to me under the understanding that the car was mine, and he has the title - which he is going to give to me signed. So are you saying that if I own the car, my insurance should cover it, even if I hadn't transferred the title yet or called my insurance company?
I'm saying if it were a newly acquired vehicle, and all of your other vehicles are insured, you generally have 30 days in which to advise your agency to add coverage.

Seems like you're stretching here. I wouldn't want to dig myself in deeper. :(

wilke_jb

It is a newly accuired vehicle - now whether or not I was going to make it roadworthy is another question. (I did buy a car once to part it out and ended up fixing it instead and driving it, in fact I still drive it today!) But what if I bought a car, with the intentions of making it a daily driver, got it home and it burned to the ground the next day - the time I drove it would have been covered, right - even though I never actually started driving it and made it legal. I'm not going to lie in any of this - I just don't do that! But I do feel that this could be a way out, even without lying.

Thanks,
Jason

R

Raisinette

wilke_jb said:
It is a newly accuired vehicle - now whether or not I was going to make it roadworthy is another question. (I did buy a car once to part it out and ended up fixing it instead and driving it, in fact I still drive it today!) But what if I bought a car, with the intentions of making it a daily driver, got it home and it burned to the ground the next day - the time I drove it would have been covered, right - even though I never actually started driving it and made it legal. I'm not going to lie in any of this - I just don't do that! But I do feel that this could be a way out, even without lying.

Thanks,
Jason
Newly acquired? Seems kinda mushy, Jason. No money, no papers exchanged -- and the vehicle used to be legally yours.

One reason I asked about the "no inspection" sticker, a process I am not familiar with, is because it may not have been legal to drive, or insure for driving, that vehicle in any event. It appears rather evident that you in this case and perhaps everyone in similar cases needs to have such vehicles towed.

I'd be very careful doing anything that would be, or would be construed as, insurance fraud.

Whatever you do, Jason, don't let a month of hardship kill you.

wilke_jb

Thanks again,
In our state you can't get an inspection without valid insurance, so you must have insurance to drive it to get it inspected. The car used to be mine, but we legally transferred the title over a year ago, then I bought it back. Does that make more sense? I even talked to my insurance agent last night and he said that he felt that I was covered, but he would call me back and tell me for sure today.

Thanks,
Jason

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">