• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Proof of Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mneuby

Kansas

I was hit last week by a guy who did not have proof of insurance or a drivers license. He did the hit and run but thankfully his car broke down so they took him away in cuffs.

He has a court date of 12/1, do I have to wait until then to find out whether or not he has insurance? I'm told that in Kansas we have a law that will allow me to go after the owner of the vehicle since it wasn't his that he was driving.

My problem is, I don't want to have to wait until 12/1 just to find out he doesn't have insurance, I'd like to know now so I can start going after the owner. If I have to go that route, how will I find out the owner's insurance policy? Will I need to hire a lawyer?

If I do go ahead and get some of the damage fixed to make the car driveable, will the insurance company refuse to pay for that portion since they didn't have a chance to inspect the damage prior to repair?

I only have liablility on this vehicle and have uninsured motorist protection for bodily injury but suppposedly I don't have unisured motorist protetion for damage to my vehicle. We are a no fault state and I thought no fault was there for situations just like this.

HELP!

Thanks!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">