• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not at fault auto accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jennyhall21

What is the name of your state? California

I was leaving a parking garage last Tuesday when a man in a large truck in front of me realized he was going the wrong way and proceeded to back up. I couldn't reverse my car in time and he hit the front left corner of my car. We both pulled over and he gave me his name, phone number, driver's license number, and the name of his insurance company - Geico. I wasn't thinking clearly and realized when I got home that I did not get his policy number. I have since left him two messages asking for the number and to discuss how to get my car fixed. I have not heard from him though.

I have gotten some estimates on the repairs which range from $2200-$2800. I do not want to have to use my insurance for this accident since it was not my fault and I can't afford to pay the deductible right now. Can you suggest a course of action? I also have his address- should I send a registered letter? Please help!

Thanks!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jennyhall21 said:
What is the name of your state? California

I was leaving a parking garage last Tuesday when a man in a large truck in front of me realized he was going the wrong way and proceeded to back up. I couldn't reverse my car in time and he hit the front left corner of my car. We both pulled over and he gave me his name, phone number, driver's license number, and the name of his insurance company - Geico. I wasn't thinking clearly and realized when I got home that I did not get his policy number. I have since left him two messages asking for the number and to discuss how to get my car fixed. I have not heard from him though.

I have gotten some estimates on the repairs which range from $2200-$2800. I do not want to have to use my insurance for this accident since it was not my fault and I can't afford to pay the deductible right now. Can you suggest a course of action? I also have his address- should I send a registered letter? Please help!

Thanks!

My response:

Send him a Certified Return Receipt letter. Enclose a good, clean copy of each of the estimates. In your letter, "demand" that he pay the lowest estimate by Certified Cashier's Check. Enclose a self addressed stamped return envelope "for his convenience."

In the letter, also state that you are giving him 10 days to comply with your demand for payment, otherwise you will have no choice but to sue him.

Another alternative would be is merely to call Geico claims, and give them his name, and all other information concerning the accident. They will be able to tell if he is an insured by the use of his name and address. Then, if he is an insured, make your claim through them.

Good luck.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">