• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure whos responisible for accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

serradus

Ok this is kinda complicated. I live in california. I had a friend who asked me if i wanted to buy his car. I said yes and he gave the car to me before i paid or signed any paper work. He had insurance on the car at the time i recieved it. I didn't have the money to pay for the car all at once so we were trying to find a way to finance it. I had tried to get insurance on the car but they said they needed some sort of proof that i was gonna own the car. he lagged on a lot of things and so did i and eventually about a year later i went to my girl friends house and parked the car. My girl friend lived on a hill and i didn't put the car in the park position or put the e-brake on. I went inside her house and i came out and the car had rolled down the street and into somebodys house. I didn't have insurance on the car at the time of the accident and i dont' think he did either. There was about $20,000 worth of damadge to the house which their insurance company fixed and now is calling me to collect. The problem is that I was the last person to drive the car and he had done a release of liability into my name but had never told me this. I didn't sign any paper work saying that i was gonna buy the car or anything like that till two days afterwards. again he lagged and about two months later the car was officially registered into my name. He had also done an illegal sale of the car because it was a personal car and he sold it through his dealership or atleast i was told that that is illegal. When the insurace called me to collect i was worried cuz i'm only 19 and there is no way i can get $20,000.00

Any help would be greatfull
Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Simple. You owe the money. It doesn't matter who owned the car at the time of the incident. The fact remains that it was your negligence that caused the damages. End of story. Review California Civil Code Section 1714.

If you can't pay the debt, you might want to consider Bankruptcy.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">