• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obtaining a Copy of accident/police report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

happymom5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ID

My step daughter was involved in a roll over accident with her bio mom and I want to know if we could obtain a copy of that report to see if speed was a factor, I know it was raining at the time of the accident but we do believe that she was driving to fast for road conditions. My husband has custody of his daughter who is 8. Will the State Patrol release a copy to us once the investigation is over?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ID

ecmst12

It's not really pertinent, there's not going to be a question of fault in a single car accident. There can be a BI claim put in with mom's insurance but there may be some limitations to recovery because it is a parent-child relationship. Dad might want to talk with a lawyer if injuries are significant.

justalayman

they should as a police report is public record although you will (should) get a redacted copy with certain information missing.

happymom5

Obtaining a copy of accident/police report

She was not hurt (Thank God) but her mom has a tendency to speed and she tried to tell us that we aren't allowed to see a copy of the report because it's her business, but I feel as long as our daughter was involved due to her negligence we should have the right to know what happened and if she was ticketed for this incident.

Antigone*

She was not hurt (Thank God) but her mom has a tendency to speed and she tried to tell us that we aren't allowed to see a copy of the report because it's her business, but I feel as long as our daughter was involved due to her negligence we should have the right to know what happened and if she was ticketed for this incident.
Wow...this is amazing!!! This is the first child I have ever know to have been born from the womb of two women...now is that ever a miracle!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Isis1

wow lady. you really shouldn't have gone there. :eek:

Isis1

Isabella, you don't think we have some funky miraculous biconception thing going on do we? Do you think we should call Ripley's Believe it or Not?
you know, we should. this is amazing. even more amazing than a man giving birth. :D i bet my grandma never thought that possible!

ecmst12

Look, what on earth kinda difference does it make whether she got a ticket or not? You already know she was negligent, you already know she caused an accident, I promise you she feels WAY worse then you to about having endangered HER child (read, not yours) and doesn't need someone who has no legal interest in the situation poking around trying to make her feel worse. Kid wasn't hurt, be happy and let it go.

Antigone*

Look, what on earth kinda difference does it make whether she got a ticket or not? You already know she was negligent, you already know she caused an accident, I promise you she feels WAY worse then you to about having endangered HER child (read, not yours) and doesn't need someone who has no legal interest in the situation poking around trying to make her feel worse. Kid wasn't hurt, be happy and let it go.
You know Em, we should be getting you a throne too;)

Isis1

but if she lets it go, then how can she prove to the entire world that BIO mom is unfit and OP is a WAY better mother?:rolleyes::rolleyes: it takes all the fun out of trying to reduce BIO mom's rights!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Labtec600

Go down to the police station and get it. They will charge you 10 -15 bucks for it. It's public record.

The report will have a bunch of numerical numbers on it that mean different things. Look for "contributing factors" and find an overlay sheet on the internet to decode it.

ecmst12

Different states have different rules for who can obtain a police report. In many states, OP, who was not involved in the accident in ANY way, would not be able to get it. One has to be the owner or driver of one of the involved vehicles, or an injured passenger, or one of the involved insurance companies, in order to get a copy.

justalayman

Different states have different rules for who can obtain a police report. In many states, OP, who was not involved in the accident in ANY way, would not be able to get it. One has to be the owner or driver of one of the involved vehicles, or an injured passenger, or one of the involved insurance companies, in order to get a copy.
TITLE 9
EVIDENCE
CHAPTER 3
PUBLIC WRITINGS
9-335.Exemptions from disclosure -- Confidentiality. (1) Notwithstanding any statute or rule of court to the contrary, nothing in this chapter nor chapter 10, title 59, Idaho Code, shall be construed to require disclosure of investigatory records compiled for law enforcement purposes by a law enforcement agency, but such exemption from disclosure applies only to the extent that the production of such records would:
(a) Interfere with enforcement proceedings;
(b) Deprive a person of a right to a fair trial or an impartial adjudication;
(c) Constitute an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy;
(d) Disclose the identity of a confidential source and, in the case of a record compiled by a criminal law enforcement agency in the course of a criminal investigation, confidential information furnished only by the confidential source;
(e) Disclose investigative techniques and procedures; or
(f) Endanger the life or physical safety of law enforcement personnel.
(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1) of this section, any person involved in a motor vehicle collision which is investigated by a law enforcement agency, that person’s authorized legal representative and the insurer shall have a right to a complete, unaltered copy of the impact report, or its successors, and the final report prepared by the agency.
(3) An inactive investigatory record shall be disclosed unless the disclosure would violate the provisions of subsection (1)(a) through (f) of this section. Investigatory record as used herein means information with respect to an identifiable person or group of persons compiled by a law enforcement agency in the course of conducting an investigation of a specific act or omission and shall not include the following information:
(a) The time, date, location, and nature and description of a reported crime, accident or incident;
(b) The name, sex, age, and address of a person arrested, except as otherwise provided by law;
(c) The time, date, and location of the incident and of the arrest;
(d) The crime charged;
(e) Documents given or required by law to be given to the person arrested;
(f) Informations and indictments except as otherwise provided by law; and
(g) Criminal history reports.
As used herein, the term "law enforcement agency" means the office of the attorney general, the office of the state controller, the Idaho state police, the office of any prosecuting attorney, sheriff or municipal police department.
(4) Whenever it is made to appear by verified petition to the district court of the county where the records or some part thereof are situated that certain investigative records are being improperly withheld from a member of the public, the court shall order the officer or person charged with withholding the records to disclose the investigative record or show cause why he should not do so. The court shall decide the case after examining the record in camera, papers filed by the parties, and such oral argument and additional evidence as the court may allow.
If the court finds that the public official’s decision to refuse disclosure is not justified, he shall order the public official to make the record public. If the judge determines that the public official was justified in refusing to make the record public, he shall return the item to the public official without disclosing its content with an order supporting the decision refusing disclosure. Any person who fails to obey the order of the court shall be cited to show cause why he is not in contempt of court. The court may, in its discretion, award costs and fees to the prevailing party.
If the investigation (by the police) is still active, it appears they can refuse the report. Once it becomes inactive, it is then available with redaction.

at least that is how I read the statute.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">