• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obviously not my fault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fire cracker

State: Tennessee

I was driving down a one way street, and while making a left turn the car behind me tried to pass. He hit the driver and passenger side left doors. Cop gave me the ticket, but could give no reason why. (Mind you she would not allow me to give her my version of the accident. She went with what the guy's wife said, but his wife was no where near the scene of the accident when it occurred.) I have a witness who says he saw exactly what happened. (accident happened right in front of his apartment).

What do I do? The court date for ticket is here and before I can get an injury lawyer, they're telling me to get a lawyer to have the ticket removed from my driving record first. :confused:

tammy8

If the other vehicle was passing you in a legal passing zone, then yes you are at fault. It is a very strange law. Has your insurance company became involved? If your company can provide you with a letter stating your policy is liable for the other parties damages, you should be able to present it in court and get the ticket dropped from your driving record.

F

fire cracker

ok

State: Tennessee

Well, Friday I went to court and after explaining the accident to the prosecutor, I was blessed to have the case dismissed. However

He was not in a legal passing zone. The thing was the far left lane was wide, but there were cars parked on the curb. The guy was about 70 yrs. old and just wasn't paying attention to what was going on in front of him; or he was determined to pass me. I do have a witness who saw what happened. Question is... do I have a case?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">