• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

oem and aftermarket parts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

levi

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I was recently involved in an auto accident. I have filed a claim with my insurance company for the repair of my vehicle. I purchased my vehicle (2006 Scion xB) new 8 months ago and it has 15,000 miles on it. The damage to my vehicle involves the front end. I chose the body shop (took the car to the dealership were it was purchased). I have been informed that the estimate for repairs to my vehicle involves the use of aftermarket / non-oem parts (the parts are CAPA) and reconditioned parts (no new OEM parts). I have expressed to the adjuster that I do not want non-oem parts used to repair my vehicle (due to issues with safety, fit, and finish) and I was informed that under my policy they are able to use these parts and, "it is not like I am driving a new car." (Scion just recently released the 2008 xB but there was no 2007) I understand that this is a claim against my own insurance but, I pay more for what I thought was a better policy, so that I would be covered in the case of an accident (this is my first). I have found online that there was recently a class action suit against another insurance company in the state of Missouri for using non-oem parts but, was advised by the adjuster of my company that the insurance company lost the suit because the parts were not CAPA. What, if anything can I do to make sure that my vehicle is repaired using the same quality of parts with which it had prior to the accident? What about reconditioned parts? If the insurance company will not go with new OEM parts due to cost, would reconditioned parts be a good alternative for both me and the insurance company?What is the name of your state?

CraigFL

I understand your concern but OEM's make a bigger deal out of using their parts than needs to be. Of course THEY want you to use their parts because it affects their profit. But... don't worry, you always have the final say in what parts are to be used because all you need to do is to pay the difference out of your pocket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">