• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Offered $ for car and have to buy back @ salvage rate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kratos

What is the name of your state? CA

I have a car that was stolen and recovered. The insurance wants to count it as a lost and pay out $1700 and they keep the car. I can buy it back at the salvage rate.
If I dont accept this offer I can invoke the appraisal policy. But I dont want to have to go through all that if it isnt necessary.

I dont want them to keep the car. I dont want a salvage title on it. Its only missing rims, tires, ingition, trunk lock and minor repair on a side window. I can probably fix it myself for around the $1700 maybe $2000 cost they offer.

I dont have to give it up do I? Cant I have the insurance just pay me the $1700 and call it done and I fix it myself?

What steps should I do?
Thanks

Lynx 36

Quote: "I dont have to give it up do I? Cant I have the insurance just pay me the $1700 and call it done and I fix it myself?"

No, if you want the insurance company to handle it, and you want to keep the car, then they will give you less than $1,700 after salvage value is deducted. There will have to be a salvage title on it as well. This is state law and is not up to the insurance companies to decide on. They could possibly be sued if this car ends up in someone elses hands and they find out your car was totalled and the insurance company didn't make you get a salvage title.

Your only way out of this is to totaly drop the claim and handle everything yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">