• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Official trip..company refuses to pay claim!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brickinthewall2

What is the name of your state? IL

Recently while I was on a official trip, I ran into a construction barricade.
On calling up the rental car company, I was advised that since there was no third party involved there is any need to file a police complaint?

I had no taken any insurance coverage from the rental car company as iwas promised by the company that they cover all employees when they are on the job…

When i submitted the claim the company’s (insurance) did an about face and refused to pay the claim? Their point of rejection was:

1.) The claim was filed late? - Rental car company said..the statue in some states permit claims to be filed as late as 1-2 yrs from the date of incident..
2.) My company says that since there is no police report, no claim can be processed?- IS A POLICE COMPANINT NECESSARY IF NO THIRD PARTY IS INVOLVED? OR IS A POLCIE COPLAINT NECESSARY FOR A CLAIM TO BE PROCESSED

Plz….plz…advice ASAP..as I amstuck with a 2k bill.;-((

seniorjudge

brickinthewall2 said:
What is the name of your state? IL

Recently while I was on a official trip, I ran into a construction barricade.
On calling up the rental car company, I was advised that since there was no third party involved there is any need to file a police complaint?

I had no taken any insurance coverage from the rental car company as iwas promised by the company that they cover all employees when they are on the job…

When i submitted the claim the company’s (insurance) did an about face and refused to pay the claim? Their point of rejection was:

1.) The claim was filed late? - Rental car company said..the statue in some states permit claims to be filed as late as 1-2 yrs from the date of incident..
2.) My company says that since there is no police report, no claim can be processed?- IS A POLICE COMPANINT NECESSARY IF NO THIRD PARTY IS INVOLVED? OR IS A POLCIE COPLAINT NECESSARY FOR A CLAIM TO BE PROCESSED

Plz….plz…advice ASAP..as I amstuck with a 2k bill.;-((

You are responsible for your own actions and are liable for this.

brickinthewall2

but!

i wanted to take atleast the damage coverage on the rental car, but comany advised me aganist it, as they cover all employees?

the company basically wanted to save 10$, and now i am stuck witha dead turkey?

i was of the opinion that company is partially responsible, as they insisted that i dont take any insurance??
it was a long term rental... i had the car for 6 weeks, and metwith an accident inthe last week, 2 days before returing!

brickinthewall2

help!

Accident occurred in the month of sept. (9/19)
There were few dents and some paint work..
So I returned the car after a week, say last week of sept. I had an initial estimate done, which came up to 1600$.
On nov 25th (around) I received a final bill from the rental car company for 2600$.
I submitted the claim docs to the company dec 15th, they returned it back saying its too late?
According to the rental car, u can file claim as late as 2-3 yrs..i don’t know how true this is?

But I blame my company for not allowing me to at least take the rental insurance..out of my own pocket. They assured me that they will cover my as*….but now its out in the cold.;-((..
Please advice!!!

[plz note, I called the rental car company and the rep advised me that a police report was not necessary. Also immediately I called my company and they did not give me the insurance company details, so basically I was in the dark.]

sukharev

You are getting off on a tangent here. So, to sum up:

1) You waited for 3 month to file the claim
2) You did not participate in car repair issues (estimates, etc.)
3) You did not document the damage in any way

Insurance does not work like that. They do need to have a timely claim filed. They do need to have opportunity to negotiate repairs, see the car before any repairs are done, document the damage, document completion of repairs, etc. Sorry to say, but it does not look promising...

Your employer would probably say the same thing: insurance they provide needs to be used properly. Don't blame them, they did not force you to wait 3 month.

Try to look up insurance laws in IL, maybe it's true that you can still submit the claim. However, it's likely that the main provision is to NOT FIX the car until insurance looks at it.

brickinthewall2

the poiint is!

1.) I had an independent estimate done for the damages.
and there is photo evidence of the damages.

the reason i think my company is liable is...
they did not provide me with the insurance company information (policy number or insurance comany contact information) when i called in the accident.. if i had that information i would have followed the right procedure.

so how can i be held responsible? i have aggreed to pay half the amt..

2.) the rental car company says that , they usually take care of the damages and send in the claim, and thats the standard practice?

i think i need an attorney..;-(

teflon_jones

brickinthewall2 said:
Is this a question or a statement?
brickinthewall2 said:
Do you have this in writing?
brickinthewall2 said:
So file a police report. They're required in pretty much every state if the damages exceed a certain dollar amout (varies by state), regardless of whether another vehicle was involved.

seniorjudge

brickinthewall2 said:
1.) I had an independent estimate done for the damages.
and there is photo evidence of the damages.

the reason i think my company is liable is...
they did not provide me with the insurance company information (policy number or insurance comany contact information) when i called in the accident.. if i had that information i would have followed the right procedure.

so how can i be held responsible? i have aggreed to pay half the amt..

2.) the rental car company says that , they usually take care of the damages and send in the claim, and thats the standard practice?

i think i need an attorney..;-(

You are responsible because you did not protect yourself beforehand.

I rent cars on occasion and I have tons of paperwork laid out on who is responsible for what before I even touch the iginition key.

It's called planning.

brickinthewall2

hmmm!!!

let me clarify!!
1.)when the VP of the company says, we got ur back, dont worry abt the insurance...i would say everyone would believe him!! :confused:
2.)after the incident when i reported teh accident and asked for the insurance details, i was not provided with any! if i had that information i would have followed the procedure?

so my point is, my company basically lied to me...

u cant file a police report for a an incident thathappened months ago..and cops dont take accident reports on th e phone!

maybe i was too gullible to believe my company.;-(

teflon_jones

You can most certainly file an accident report for something that happened months ago. Ask the police dept to mail you a blank accident report to fill out.

stephenk

do you have personal auto insurance? If yes, make the claim with them.

What prevented you from calling your employer to ask for the insurance information that the rental agency needed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">