• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OH laws on someone else driving your vehicle and getting into an accident.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CECoop

I own a 1991 Chevy Silverado extended cab. I bought my truck one year and two months ago. A couple months after buying my truck, I had my girlfriend at the time, come up to my work and take it out to wash it for me. She was 17 years old at the time. She also brought her two younger sisters with her that day. I just told her to wash my truck and bring it back. She washed my truck and then took her two little sisters to breakfast. When she came back about an hour later, there was a dent in the extended cab part of my truck, on the passenger side. Her story was that somebody had hit my truck in the parking lot of the restaurant where her and her sisters had breakfast. She had parked my truck on an angle. The person who hit my truck, never stopped, so it was a hit and run. Nobody got the license plate of the vehicle or anything. From looking at the dent, it looked as if she had actually hit a pole while pulling into the car wash. I questioned her many times on her story, but she stuck to the one she told me. Now her and I are broken up. She told me that she'd pay for the dent to be fixed, but I haven't seen the money yet. I was just wondering if I'd have a case by taking her to small claims court over the matter. I'd have my insurance pay for the damage, but my insurance is already high enough. My father and brother are considered high risk drivers, so due to that, I have to suffer until I move out. Any advice would be appreciated.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

So, you want to take your old flame to court, do you ?

Let me run this by you :

YOU : "Your honor, she damaged my truck when she drove it to get it washed. She caused over $800.00 in damages."

SHE : "Your honor, I have no idea what this madman is talking about. I never drove his truck. I believe he's only suing me because I broke up with him, and now, he's using this as an excuse to "get back" at me."

JUDGE : "Well, Mr. Plaintiff. Since you have the burden of proof, and you have shown me nothing that indicates she was the person who damaged your truck, I have no choice but to dismiss your lawsuit, and give judgment in favor of the Defendant, your gorgeous former girlfriend. Perhaps, young lady, you'd care to go out for drinks after we boot your boyfriend out of my courtroom; whadaya say ?"

BAILIFF : "Please step out and turn to your right as you exit the courtroom. Have a nice day."

Pay to have your truck fixed, never allow someone else to drive it, and call it a day.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">