• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oklahoma accident-please reply

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teacherkat

What is the name of your state?Oklahoma

I was in an accident tonight. I was driving in a Lowe's Home Improvement Parking Lot when a van pulled out in front of me and I hit it. The police officer that came said that he could not issue a citation since it was on private property (Lowe's), but he wrote in the report that the woman driving the van was at fault, because I had the right of way and she should have yielded to me. Anyone have experience here? I am worrying myself to death. My insurance company Geico is being very supportive, she has Safeco-if she's insured. She didn't have a current copy of her insurance in her vehicle, and was issued a citation for that. My 1999 Ford F150 pickup's front bumper was moved to the left, the direction she was traveling, about 6-8 inches. The grill is broken, the fender welds on both sides are dented in, the hood is off kilter and the driver door doesn't close properly. Luckily my daughter and I weren't hurt (or the other driver), and I was able to drive home with no leaking fluids or troubles. The police officer said that our insurance companies would have to decide who pays for what. If the officer writes that she was at fault in his report shouldn't she pay to have both vehicles fixed? How long before the insurance companies will decide? I couldn't find anything that says Oklahoma is a no fault state. I don't feel like this should be a reflection of my driving and cause my rates to rise. OH.....there were trees blocking my view and she came out of the parking area very quickly. I was traveling at about 15 miles per hour because I had just bought a shed, have it loaded and just turned the corner to leave the store parking lot. I was in a driving main lane and she was in the parking area as the police officer put it, but both are part of Lowe's parking and driving property. Thanks for any input.

moburkes

The policy report will help your case. As long as she had insurance at the time of the accident, her insurance company should pay to repair your vehicle, and for any medical bills that you may have. I don't have an OK license, but since you state its probably NOT a no fault state, I am going by that.

Please don't worry. Accidents happen, yours appears to have been pretty minor (you didn't mention injuries). Don't worry about whether her insurance company will repair her vehicle, that's her problem. Your concern is repairing your vehicle, and having a rental one while yours is being repaired. If she doesn't have insurance, then look towards your own policy for uninsured motorist property damage or collision. At the least, if you have to use your policy, she should reimburse your for your deductible, since that would be the only thing coming out of your pocket (assuming that you have the coverage).

It shouldn't take them long to decide, it sounds pretty clear-cut (especially with the police report). It is a holiday weekend, so service may not be super fast, but it sounds like your vehicle is driveable in the meantime.

The fact remains, though, that you were involved in an accident. However, it will also reflect that you were not at fault. Most insurance companies do not hold a not at fault against you (unless you seem to keep getting involved in them!).

Good luck! Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">