• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

One More Question About Lawsuit....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan

(The below quote is from a post of mine 2-3 days ago.)

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum or not - if not - please direct me to the proper forum.

Here is my problem:

On November 2nd, 2001 I was involved in a car accident. I had various injuries, as well and a closed head injury.

I got a lawyer, and because he had so many other cases to deal with, after about a year and a half, he passed my case over to another lawyer that he often deals with. I met the new laywer, and signed the papers to procede with the suit.

For a while I had not heard anything from this laywer. In early June 2003 I moved about 5 hours from where I had originally lived. I sent a letter to my lawyer letting him know of my new address and phone number. Occasionally I would get pieces of mail from them - nothing important.

Due to my living situation, and the people I was living with, I ended up moving back to where I first started the suit. When I left though, many of my things were left behind. When I did go back to get many of my belongings, (paperwork, personal items) they were all gone. The people I lived with trashed it all. And then I could not remember the name of the lawyer that I was supposed to be dealing with.

So for a while I just forgot about the suit. At that point, I was frustrated, and really didn't want anything else to do with it. I figured that I would rather just drop it, as it was causing me too much stress. But how was I to do that, without finding my lawyer?

Well - about a week and half ago - the lawyers para-legal called me (she figured to call my old number) and she got ahold of me. She didn't ask me where I had been, or what had happened. She instead was very rude, and quick to get me off the phone. She was just letting me know that she was going to be mailing me paperwork to fill out.

Well - the other day I got the paperwork in the mail - and it was like 25 pages long, wanting to know EVERYTHING about me, wanting tax returns, etc...

I do not feel comfortable filling this out - and I do not wish to persue this suit.

Now my question: (Sorry this is so long - just trying to give accurate information.) Am I able to tell my lawyer that I no longer wish to persue this? Thinking about it brings me lots of stress, and makes my stomach go in knots. I have been at my job for 7 months now - and the stress from this is keeping me from performing at the best of my ability. I just feel that if this suit were to go away - I would feel better.

I no longer have the contract that was signed, as that was part of the stuff that was thrown away when I moved back home.

Any thoughts or advice is greatly apprecited.
Thanks so much,
Kari
So currently - I took the advice of someone who responded, and I am sending them a letter certified return receipt, asking for a copy of the paper work that I signed through the lawyer, and making them aware that I do not wish to pursue this case any further.

I do however believe that I will end up having to pay them some money.

My question now is - if I ask them to drop the suit - do they have to drop it? And if so - could there be consequences (besides me having to pay them money??) They may have already contacted the court, etc... but I am not sure if they have or not.

I just do not want to deal with this anymore - and I am willing to pay if I have to.

Any thoughts as to whether they have to drop this if requested???

Thanks again,
~ Kari ~

JETX

karihager1982 said:
(The below quote is from a post of mine 2-3 days ago.)
Please don't start a new thread. Post your update or new question to your original post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">