• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

only my car and a mailbox

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cassco

What is the name of your state? GA
I was backing up and sideswiped a mail box doing damage only to my car. Am I required to do an accident report? The
damage is a lot and I don't know whether to use my insurance or not. I came home after the incident was that wrong? Help!

teflon_jones

Most states have a minimum damage amount that you have to file an accident report for. I'm not sure what it is in GA. But, if you say it did considerable damage, I suspect you're over the limit.

stephenk

are you positive the mailbox was not damaged at all? if it is a public mailbox you should report the damage to the box to your local post office. if it is a private mailbox, let the owner know you will pay for any damage.

if your car is the only thing damaged and you are willing to pay to fix your car on your own, you aren't required to report it to your insurance company.

teflon_jones

There are also statues on how long you have to file the accident report with the police after it happens (assuming the damages are over the minimum in your state). Check into it! Also, filing with the police has zero to do with whether you file it with your insurance company or not. They're not going to send anything to your insurance company, that's up to you.

lwpat

You should have left a note for the owner of the mailbox assuming that it was private and promptly paid for the damages. If it was a Postal Service box that is Federal property and you should have called the police.

My rule of thumb is that if the damage is under 1000 I pay for it myself and do not involve the insurance company. Your agent may be able to give you some advice on what is best for your particular situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">