• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Other Driver Provides False Info to Me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SallyX

What is the name of your state? Florida
I was involved in a minor auto accident the other day. The other driver rolled through a stop sign and hit my car on the passenger side, rear quarter panel. The vehicle sustained about $750 in damages, as per the estimate I received from the local Honda dealership I brought it to. His vehicle, a newer SUV, sustained no damage whatsoever.
The other driver got out of his vehicle and said, "I'm sorry. I'll pay for this. My foot slipped off the brake."
He then proceeded to write down for me his name, address, home and cell phone numbers, drivers license number, tag number, and Allstate insurance policy number. I emphasize he wrote down this info, because he did not want to do it. Had I my cell phone with me I would have called the police, then and there. But, I didn't, and figured for such a small matter let's be done with this and get on our way.
There were no witnesses, no other passengers in either vehicle, and no injuries. We were both on our way in five minutes. He repeated that he wanted me to call him ASAP so he could take care of this himself.
Later that day I went to the local precinct and filed a report.
In the evening, I called him on his cell phone, and told him I already had an estimate. When I quoted the figure of $750, he was surprised and said he wanted me to bring my car to his friend. I declined, and told him I want to use an approved and licensed repair shop, and one I can return to should something go wrong. He didn't like this, but said to fax him the estimate. And this is where the problems started. The provided fax number doesn't work. His cell phone number is suddenly "temporarily disconnected" as per the recording I am receiving. There is no answer on his home phone provided, assuming that is his phone. And when I contacted Allstate they have no record of anyone by that name, at that address, and the policy number doesn't exist.
Again, it is a minor accident and won't be the end of my world as I know it if the vehicle isn't repaired, or if I need to fix it myself. However, I would like to know and pursue my options against this individual.
Any suggestions on what to do next? Should I contact the police again and explain what has transpired since I filed the accident report? Call my insurance company? Thank you.

S

seniorjudge

"...Should I contact the police again and explain what has transpired since I filed the accident report? Call my insurance company?..."

Yes to both.

SallyX

I have contacted the police and updated them. I was informed I needed to fill out another form, which is then mailed to the Department of Motor Vehicles. They do not get involved on the local level, apparently, which I find surprising. I would think that a driver without insurance would be someone they want off the road.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">