• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Our car was parked and the police report says it was our fault??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sabolchi

This happened in Pennsylvania. Ok, last night, my fiancée went to pick something up at a store downtown. She parked the car at a meter near a stop-light. She exited the car and asked her daughter to stay inside. After going around the car to get our 6 month old son out, her daughter opened her door which was hit by a pickup truck. Thankfully her daughter was not injured.

According to the police report. Even though the car was parked at a meter. They claim we are at fault because my fiancé's daughter opened the door which caused the accident.

Here is my problem. As I said, this happened near a stop-light. The road is a single lane road. It is not marked with a turning lane and a through lane. There are no signs indicating a through lane. However, it is common practice for most people to just buzz around cars turning left. Had this truck not been passing the vehicle that was turning, the accident would have never happened. So how can this be our fault? Is it not illegal to pass a car on the right?

Thanks for any insight you might be able to offer!

JETX

Apparently not as illegal as opening a door into a traffic lane without checking if a car was coming.
Just be glad that no one was hurt, it sounds like it could have been bad.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">