• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of State Car Registration and Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Frediter

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York Resident

Hello,

Have a problem and I hope you all can help. I am a New York State full time resident who lives with his family in a house I do not own.

I do own a vacation home in Pennsylvania where I keep my spare car in the garage. That is where it is predominantly garaged. It is registered and
insured in Pennsylvania. The car was not driven out of state one day last year.

When I registered in in Pa. I explained I was a non resident and wanted to register the car in Pa. Everyone at motor vehicles said not a problem at all.

Insurance company was OK with it as well. I kept my New York State DL
as I want it for everyday resident ID in New York.

Everything was fine until a few months ago when the insurance company
sent a note that my policy was not going to be renewed since I did not have a Pa. DL. Hmm first I had ever heard of this. Contacted the company and could not get an straight answer. First they said that is was OK then now
an underwriter said it's insurance company policy get a PA DL.... Or else

For what I see PA DL's are only for residents which I am not and do not want to be..

What should I do ? The Insurance companies answer does not seem right to me...

BTW my driving record is 100 percent clean....

Frediter

teflon_jones

Ask the insurance company for a written copy of this policy and a letter explaining that this policy is why they're denying you coverage. However, they can simply not renew your coverage at their discretion anyway. If I were you, I'd just get insurance from another company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">